Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Okay, I'm going to try and rebuild a bog on my land and I need lots of sphagnum to do it. Do I just get some dryed sphagnum and run it through a blender and mix it in water or should I put it on peat or a peat water soup? I've never tried to grow a large amount all at once befor.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never tried it myself but I have been told that starter colonies of moss can be obtained by taking some live moss and mixing it in a blender with buttermilk or flat beer. You blend until smooth and then pour over a bed of peat and let the moss grow. For sphag I think I would only let the moss get to about the minced stage and I would start by pouring the slurry over peat in something like a dish tub that you can wrap in clear plastic. Let the moss grow until it is really think and then spread it over your bog where it will hopefully fill out into a carpet.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

This sounds interesting, I wonder why beer or buttermilk (fat) would work? Anyone got an idea?

For leaf-cuttings and seed I use a foodprocessor to make the sphagnum completely fine. After I sew or place the leaves on it, this works very good!

Greets,

Marco
    The earth is not dying, it is being killed. And those who are killing her have names and addresses.
    Utah Phillips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the beer/butermilk offers a high organic molecule supply but that is just a guess.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

you can also use milk that gone bad.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] æsj! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

K, I have a bag of long fiber that has been in the garaodge for a few years. I'll start by demolishing it this weekend

(for those wondering why you can totally grind up the sphagum and have it sprout, it is actually the tiney spoors that sprout and by grinding up the old dead plants the spoor are given a chance to grow in a nutrient acid soup) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

-Darcie
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Interesting information.

I heard from Sphagnum that it is sterile anyone can confirm this?

And that it has the ability to kill bacteries? That's the reason why CP seed can grow safely in Sphagnum?

Greets,

Marco
    The earth is not dying, it is being killed. And those who are killing her have names and addresses.
    Utah Phillips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphag is not sterile, it has load of microflora that associate with it. It does however have anti-fungal properties. I don't know if these are an intrinsic property or if they are something excreted but they do help prevent things like damp-off.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast