User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Soil recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím actually surprised that I have not seen this topic before, and as far as I know it isnít in The Savage Garden book either (but it could be, I did a lot of skimming the first few sections).

Anyway, when people give recipes for making soil and they say 1 part whatever and 2 parts whatever, are you referring to volume or by weight, because there is a big difference when mixing LFS and sand.

Up until now Iíve been using 1:1 of peat moss and perlite, which are close enough that I donít think it makes a difference. But my collection is rapidly expanding to different varieties and Iím starting to try some of the different soil recipes.

Please clue me in.

D. Buck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it's volume. If you have wet peat and your mixing it 50/50 with perlite in terms of wieght, the mix would be like 10:90 in volume. Perlite is soo light!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way back in the annuls of time books used to say X parts by volume of this plus Y parts by volume of that. But then society became the fast paced cellphone, internet, instant gratification culture we now have and so in the interest of saving the writter (and the reader to I guess) precious seconds the phrase 'parts by volume' got truncated to just 'parts'

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use all the time by volume as by weight could be you would need a lot of stuff when you use Perlite or vermiculite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think most of us have sclaes that measure in ounces anyway.