What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There have been several great posts on setting up a terrarium recently, but does anyone have any other suggestions for me? This will be my first terrarium. I don't plan on using the individual pot method and am planning on skipping dormancy this winter, I know I know, so I also need suggestions for removing my plants from their current pots. I'm also looking for lighting suggestions and humidity suggestions, I live on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, so humidity should not be a problem. Also is a vaporizer and a humidifier the same thing? The plants I have are: 5vfts, 3 nep. vent., 1 sundew, 1 sarracenia pupera, and 1 butterwort 1 vft and a couple of cobra lillies all growing together in the same pot. I know that cobras don't grow well in the same conditions as the others, but so far it is doing fine with the same conditions as the others.
If anyone has any suggestions, they would appreciated. Thanks.

i forgot, i also have a s. flava.

Sorry I don't have time to give you a more thourough response Tim, but I would reference you to the setting up a terrarium topic I started, it answers a lot of your questions.

But here goes the quick and dirty:

Vaporizer vs Humidifier: NO, a vaporizer creates water droplets of a larger nature than the humidifier (ultrasonic I am assuming) vaporizers use centrifugal force usually to draw water up out of the well, and then spin it off into the air, a fan expels it into 'your world'. an ultrasonich basically vibrates the water molecules off the surface of the water, creating a fog. Much more efficient and better for your plants I feel.

2) Lighting, the best and most economical most of us can afford is flourescent. see the topic I mentioned earlier.

3) Your plant selection: You should not mixt tropicals and temperates, the condition requirements are different, the temperates have dormancy requirements, and must be removed, and like more air movement around them

besides, you live in NC where many are native! Put them outside!

Only grow your nepenthes and tropical sundews in the same terrarium.

cant you grow one the terrariums like the one on this website in a window or close to the outside ligh,that way they dont get too much sun to heat up the terrarium.

Need to add something here. Not to contradict you Ram but a vaporizer is also the name for a steam humidifier (don't ask me why.) These are good for adding a lot of heat to your grow area as well as humidity, but be warned, a standard size one of these will turn a 20 x 20 room into a tropical basin in about 3 hours if you close the doors and windows (I speak from experience here.)

well.. no need to get technical! lol!

< Ram Imagines >

Pyro opens door, but it's stuck on something... he puts his sholder into it and shoves... the door gives and he falls through into a lush tropical forest, vines running down from the ceiling.... he shivers in fear as he remembers the horrible farce of a movie Jumanji.

Back