What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire hehh... hehh... Fire..

RamPuppy

well ladies and germs... the ongoing battle with fungus may have just drawn to a final close...

(Younguns, don't try this without adult supervision&#33
wink.gif

Ok, I have been fighting a nasty little fungus plauge for months now... I have used cleary's, (heavily concentrated even) I have put powerful lights on, and damaged my cps while burning the fungus away, I have lowered the humidity (further damaging my plants) and done pretty much ever extreme action I could think of. except one..

I was lighting some incense with my torch lighter (puts out a 1 inch jet flame (wind resistant at that) and at the same time thinking about my fungus problem... and then it hit me... the fungus keeps coming back from an area with wood...

I removed all the planting mix from the areas i have been having problems, and zapped it in the microwave for a few minutes... let it cool, and then re-added it, that should be completely sterile at this point...

for the piece of wood, I stuck that torch lighter in the tank, and burned the blossoming fungus growth right down to the now black carbonized surface of the wood.. hopefully, since I did it for long enough to get steam to come out of the moist wood, the root of the fungus have been for the most part, destroyed... we shall see...

I am hopeful that this little method of spot control on my only remaining problem spot, will save the day.

Sounds good to me! Hope it works well for you. BTW, did you get this idea inspiration from Pyro?
biggrin.gif

LOL.... suprisingly no...

Though my name doesn't say it, I am, or rather was, as a youngin... quite the little pyro...

I remember falling asleep one time while grilling some ribs on the family bbq... I woke up some time later with a sunburn, and went to check the ribs... couple of minutes later the fire department showed up, apparently a lot of grease had built up in the grill, and it decided to burn a nice slow, black smoke fire while I was sleeping, neighbors thought the house was burning... sheeshh...

needless to say... the ribs were charred beyond recognition... the bones were soo carbonized, there was very little left of them... fascinating it was to me...
smile.gif
embarrasing too.

I like to see how fire reacts with differet things, including white out (pers. fav.) and hairspray (pers. weapon against bee nests)
wink.gif

well, just be careful, if I remember right when I was a kid, someone was playing with a lighter and hairspray, and the can blew up in his hand... not a pretty picture.

Back