Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flytraps outdoors in the cold?

Jeff Hasenflu 623N.Schenley Ave.Youngstown,Oh44509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mom said on the home and graden show a lady in PA has a bog graden and has tons of venus flytraps growing in it. now how do they make it through the winter. theres noway they would. she must just have them in a pot in the ground and dig them up before the first frost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would they not make it through the winter? It may get negligibly colder than in Wilmington, North Carolina, but with a few inches of straw or hay mulch, they'd be quite fine through the winter. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]
    I am back..

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of vft's surviving in Mi. I know it get's alot colder there then it does in NC, but it can get pretty cold in Southeastern NC too. The coldest I remember it getting there was 0f in Dec 89. There was 13 inches of snow in one night. Of couse that is not typical. A normal winter in SE NC has a few nights below freezing.
    This year I am experimenting with a bog garden in ohio. I have sundews, vfts, and pitcher plants. I'm going to cover it with pinestraw this winter and see what survives.

but with a few inches of straw or hay mulch, they'd be quite fine through the winter.[/QUOTE]

You should never use hay, It traps the moisture in the bog and won't let it breath causeing the plants to rot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes - i guess they would be fine covered up really good. my parents live near willmington NC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on where in PA they are..
    southern PA has a MUCH milder winter than northern PA!
    on the PA/MD border they have winters like Washington DC, quite mild..
    but on the PA/NY border they get the same winters as upstate NY! much colder and much more snow! (I know because I grew up there! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

but still..people have been sucessfully keeping southern Sarrs and VFTs outside for all winter in quite cold climates..I have heard of Vermont! so it can be done..im going to try it once I have a yard of my own...

and yes, everytime I have read about one of these "northern bogs" they key has been HEAVY insulation! like a foot or two of leaves or pine needles on top! also, I think you would have much more success with a bog right in the ground..the ground stays much warmer than a "contaner bog" above ground would..

Ozzy, keep us updated on your bog!
    how big is it?

Scot

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bog is about 7 ft long by 4ft wide. I don't have it in the ground yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the house I'm living in yet or not. If I buy it I'll bury the bog.
    What I plan to do this winter is to surround it with heavy insulation. Then mulch the top with pine straw. I think that this will be good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then what do you do you do in the spring then, just pull all the mulch and stuff away from where the plants are

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built it this year so this coming spring will be my first. What I plan to do is burn the pinestraw off.

9. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast