What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martial arts

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
I wonder how they walk at the age of 50? Your body is amazing but it is not good to take that kind of punishment. I do not care what people say about hardening your body - you need to listen to it and let it heal. How many instructors have bad knees and hips? Alot.

travis

Travis/Schloaty,

Kicking a steel pole! Jeez, talk about insane.

Any extreme training to harden parts of the body has to be done with extreme care. The practise of Hard Chi Kung protects the body as the progress is very incremental and there's medicine that you apply after each training session. My theory is that the medicine helps to heal the body faster and also draws extra calcium deposits/harden the tissues in the area you are training. This all prevents long term injury. THEN, you have those who are too impatient to pay attention to the details, who don't breath correctly, who don't strike the medium correctly, and totally rush through the exercises. These people actually degrade their health, some to point where they have virtually no energy to even function from day to day. I've seen it. It's because of this, I haven't ventured into Chi Kung until a few months ago. Needed to make sure that I was absolutely sure of what I was doing before even beginning.

Actually, believe it or not, even regular hard training (not just extreme training) in martial arts will cause injuries. Arnis/Kali/Escrima practitioners get tennis elbow and practitioners of arts that have extensive kicking techniques experience ankle, knee and hip injuries do to the torquing motion of the kicks. To prevent these injuries, you have to make sure you warm up these joints correctly and also find ways to soften impact. Good training shoes (with extra insoles) and shock absorbing material if your sparring with weapons.

I love hook kicks too for point sparring... gets them everytime. But I can't use it in full contact... can't get enough power out of it and it leaves me vulnerable.
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">there's medicine that you apply after each training session[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Are you talking about dit da jow (I spelling it phonetically, I don't really know how it's spelled)? I've actaully used it, and it works pretty well. You do heal faster.

No power in the hook kick, eh? You're kicking the wrong targets, and relying to much on muscle. Relax through the kick. Open you hips up a mili second before snapping the kick through. You only have to move your hips about an inch to double or even triple your power (from relying solely on the hamstring). This is why spinning hooks are so much stronger. Also, instead of hooking the body, hook the quad. Boy, that hurts. Or, crease the person (bring him/her down) and hook the head.
Did that make any sense? It's a little tough without being able to demonstrate....
confused.gif

Yeah... dit da jow is one way of spelling it. The premade bottled medicine can be used for any regular injuries also... like you probably have. There's also another type of medicine that's similar which is more effective if you warm it up before you soak the injured area (not sure what it's called but I've seen it being used for Iron Palm).

As for hook kick... I'd prefer the bring the opponent down to hook the head otherwise hook a lower target like the quads. My flexibility isn't too good... not bad... but not good either. I can kick high but the higher kicks just lack power due to inflexibility (gotta start working on them splits). This is most apparent in my hook and side kicks.

I know what you're saying about the hips... in both kicking and punching, it makes a VERY big difference.

I have seen people get knocked out in tournaments due to the hook kick. That is the one reason I do not like it...you really do not have control over it either. It is different if there are no rules then you can go for the take down.

I agree if you warm up before hand that prevents alot of injuries from happening. As for medicines for injuries Icy/Hot is the BOMB!
wink.gif

travis

Travis, you're gonna kill me, but

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Icy/Hot is the BOMB!
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Don't you mean Icy/Hot is the BALM?

Oh, man, that hurt.
wow.gif
tounge.gif

confused.gif
hmmm, I should have known...I come so eager to check and leave so bitter...
tounge.gif
k/d lol But I really meant "Icy/Hot is da BOMB BALM!".

travis

Hey Travis,
I just checked out your website, and a little window popped up telling me I was the 10,000,000th visitor, and to contact the prize department immediately!!

WhadoIwin?
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Oh yeah, sorry about that pun, it's just in my nature.
Kinda like saying I get a kick out of Karate....
Oh, man, there I go again....
wink.gif

Well for you today...hmmm...a free sample of used Icy/Hot
tounge.gif
k/d  
wink.gif
What pun? - O' that...no hard feelings
smile.gif

I have a funny karate skit in which I could e-mail you if you are interested. It requires WindowsMedia or RealPlayer. If any of you are interested message me your e-mail and I will e-mail it out.

travis

I've heard of many martial arts that cause long term knee damage.  I usualy try to stay away from those.  I mean, I have bad knees as it is
sad.gif
.  Actualy, I am good with kicks and flexibility.  I can kick past my head, and I'm 5'8"  
smile.gif
. I have this book that's mostly about the internal martial arts, and it's great, breat book with tons of info. It's called "The Power of Internal Martial Arts", combat secrets of Ba gua, Tai chi, and Hising-I, by B. K. Frantzis. It has some amazing (and true) stories, and lots of info on internal martial arts. Everything I know about martial arts comes from this book. Man, I really want to start my Aikido classes
sad.gif

i did about 6 years of Tae Kwon Do

i did Ju - Jitsu, Kick boxing, Kung Fu

some other stuff

wish i was in ju jitsu agian

Nathaniel,

Knee damage can be prevented by proper knee warm ups. Many famous kung fu masters of hard, external styles are still walking fine today. Our school invites Shaolin monks all the time over here (Toronto) who have studied both soft, internal and hard, external kung fu and their perfectly fine in their 50's and 60's. In fact, many of them are in better shape than I am. So don't fret that too much.

Bomb...balm... now that's funny... hahaha!
biggrin.gif

Icy/Hot? What's that? Not familiar with that name? Something like Tiger Balm? Or is it like Bak Fa Yao (White Flower Oil)?
smile.gif

Stefano1, go back if you can... keep active.

yea i moved, so i stoped doin em, i was a month away from getin black belt in tae kwon do, then the teacher moved to a differ school about 45 mins away, before it was 5 mins away, and i couldnt make it to the classes

sucks

i want to do capoeira but its about 30 min drive

its awsome, maybe ill find kick boxing or kung fu around here

Icy/hot is a cream that you rub on, it feels really icy when its on, and when u rub it it is really hot, then when u leave it it feels like ice

heh now i know how they got the name

but iive been on swimming for school and track & field and soccer

Bak Fa Yao is similar but it's an oil.... after applying it, it gets very, very cold.

I use to swim for my Highschool Swim Team during the time I stopped training in Kung Fu.

Do you think if I spared with one of you guys, that I'd get beat up
biggrin.gif
.  Just a thought
smile.gif
. I haven't fought in a long time. Last time I got into a fight was with another kid my age. Hate to say it, but I struck first (he was taunting me). Punched him right in the stomach, then he gave me a blow in the face. I lost my balance and fell down. Just I was about to get up and go another round, he said he didn't want to fight anymore, as he had baseball practice (tshh)
mad.gif
. II told him "it's not over yet, lets finish this!", but he refused. Darnit, I was so angry. The next day, I went back to settle the score. But (and here's the embarasing part
sad.gif
), his mother stopped us. Bad memmories. In any case, I'll brag, and say that there's no one who can beet me in a street fight, atleast. Reminds me of how much I love to fight, and my long time dream of being a great martial artist. And mark my words, I will achieve it some day
mad.gif
! Well, now you know a little more about me. Lets continue the discussion, shall we.

Nathaniel,
You're what, 14 ( I think I saw you were born in '89)? Just a tip from a guy who's 29. STAY THE HECK OUT OF FIGHTS. Come on, man! You know better.
Bad knees? That young? yikes.
5'8" at 14? Man. I'm only 5'7". One of my 13 year old students is 5'10"!!!
wow.gif
wow.gif

Nathaniel,

Please stay away from streetfighting. I'm also in my late 20's (28). Back when I was in public school, if you got into a fight, the worst that could happen is that you'd get a good arse whoopin. Today, it's very different... you never know when someone will pull out a gun or a knife. The percentage of that happening is much greater today than before. Even from other kids your age or younger. They might not have any intentions to use it other than to scare you, but all it takes is just one accident. People lose control in tense situations.
sad.gif

I teach the children classes at my school and we recently taught about bullying and how to handle being bullied. Turned out that one of our students, before he joined our school, he was bullied and had a knife used on him. Has a scar to show for it. He's 13 for crying out loud!
sad.gif

Remember, the only victorious fight is the one you walk away from. Avoid all fights and you're guaranteed victory, always.

We're not trying to nag on you Nat. Just some wise words from those of us who are older and have learned from the stupid things we did when we were younger.
smile.gif

With great power, comes great responsibility young Jedi.
biggrin.gif

Schloaty... I'm telling ya. It's all the growth hormones we feed our livestock (beef, chicken, pork, milk, etc.). The average height of each generation is increasing. 5'10 use to be tall.... back in the 1800's. Kids are hitting puberty earlier too. Oh how humanity is destined to destroy itself. **sigh**
sad.gif

I'm 5'6... being short has it's advantages... lower centre of gravity...better control... great for duck and weaving attacks. hehehe
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm 5'6... being short has it's advantages[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Lol. Has it's disadvantages too. Gotta keep a step stool around. Had to shop in the junior section until I was 17. Seems like the ladies always dig the tall guys (maybe it only seems that way 'cause I'm not tall). Lucky me found a 5'1" woman to marry. I'm tall to her!
wink.gif

Think this has anything to do with why I got into martial arts? Can you say Napoleonic complex?
tounge.gif
wink.gif

HAHAHA....
biggrin.gif

Amen bro. My girlfriend/fiance is 5'1 also. In fact, all the girls I ever dated were about my height or shorter. I use to think that it was my height that kept the girls away... turned out I was just a geek with low self esteem. Hahaha.
biggrin.gif
It's funny, now that I'm older, but back then it was frustrating as ####.

I use to think that martial arts would help me score with the chics and turn me into a walking tank. NOT! I do it now for health, safety, and staying close to my culture. It's also an honor to be able to learn and teach an old tradition.
smile.gif

...plus you get to learn to handle all these awesome weapons!!!
biggrin.gif

Wow you people are small - I am 6'4
wink.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
. I suppose the bigger they are the harder they fall.
confused.gif

travis

Back