What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting sarracenia in canada

Specatblis73 and i go to a forum called www.predatoryfish.com cuz we both like fish . well spec made a topic about who grows cps and there were a few post . but one of the ppl who posted said that they collected sarracenias . I pmed the person to ask and tlel him that it is illegal and you could be fined . he said that it was'nt illegal and you could collect them . well iw ant to know so me and spec could get him busted he even said that I was dumb and not clever about cps , i'll show him . if it is illeagal to collect these plants ,then someone help me get this kid busted but if it isn't then thats good luck for the guy . spec and I have dona alot of research and so far , the info did not say anything . the person who collected the plant said it was sarracenia purpurea .

Well sure he could have collected it if he got a special permit to collect so many plants from the land. The permit would be 100% legal as it would be issued by the Canadian wildlife agency. I am sure he wouldn't have just ripped up some dozen S. purpurea subsp. purpurea from some land and said it was legal....that is just nonsense to me....it's like saying yeah "This guy has 10 pounds of marijuana and it's not illegal."
Hope you can grasp my view point.

Did he say he collects from the wild or collects as in buying plants for a collection?

Ok, found his post. Yes, he did collect them from the wild.

yes he did collect it from the wild , but I'm not sure if he did it legally cuz I re,meber reading in his pm to me saying something about fish & wildlife agency .

did he collect seeds or plants from the wild?

Bottom line is, it really doesn't matter.

Quite truthfully the agencies involved have a milion and a half other things to worry about, and don't have the man power or authority to go to private residences. Add to that the problem of proving that they were wild collected, and the status of the species with the Canadian authorities (not always the same from counrty to country, or agency to agency) If they are an introduced species the rules aren't the same, and infact there a few places where CP have been introduced and are now concidered an invasive pest. Then you must take into account the matter of weither or not the land is privately owned. You will probably be laughed at by anyone you do contact.

I know this sounds incredibly pesimistic, unfortunately it is the way it is.

Back