Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know where I can get honey bees. First, I love bees. Second, we have very few in the area. Nebraska is suffering a serious decline in its bee populace.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fascination with bees started when I was at a store known for their honey. I was buying honey when the person in front of the line, she said want to see something fascinating. I followed her to her car, and in the back of her car, she had a mini hive of bees. Being deathly afraid of things that could hurt me, I quickly ran away. But, if you want to start a hive, there are two ways, trying to capture the wild honey bees. Which will be a difficult task, first locate their hive. Either wait for them to have a queen uprise, where a new born queen will take place of the old one. Then either the new or old queen will leave with her followers, looking for a hive, if you capture the queen, you got yourself a hive.

There is another method, buying package bee. This means,

a mass of adult honeybees (2 to 5 pounds), shipped for installation in a new hive; usually contains a queen in a queen cage. There are approximately three thousand bees per pound in a package, so a 5 pound package would contain about 15,000 bees. A mature, healthy colony already established in a hive may contain up to 60,000 bees. [/QUOTE]

A good website with a lot of dealers for bees is http://www.beecare.com/Other%20sites...0Suppliers.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much. Sadly I will not be able to collect here. There are VERY few bees. The State is talking about bringing hives in. There are plenty of nasty wasps and hornets though.

I had a very strange wasp move into the yard. It has made burrows in the ground (everywhere) and is the largest, fattest wasp I have ever seen. Any idea what it is?
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, no. My son found it on the internet. It is a bee eater wasp. GET AWAY FROM MY BEES.

I will remove it tomorrow although there are no bees. It is eating the helpless caddidads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevermind. I went looking for it myself and it is a burrowing cicada eater.

He still must go. He is making a mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i c i c, cicada might be noisy, and disgusting, but they are no threats. So have a fun time killing the burrowing cicada eater. We have too many cicada here, I went on a camping site that was 4 hours away, they were having a cicada boom. They were EVERYWHERE, but they are friendly and don't bite, so you can pick them up and move them away. =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They eat plant roots for most of their lives, don't they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the Cicada is basically harmless. Grubs and cut worms get the roots. The grub damage around here is amazing.

9. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast