What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experts please...

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
I have finaly found Orthene 75 sp.  Now I need information on its use.  If it helps i have some sarrs that i have recieved that contained scale.  They need to be gone soon!  So, any info from your experience would be much appriciated!   ...and yes pingman.  I bought enough to bring you some on the next visit to you.  ;-)
Andrew

Yes, Orthene works quite well for cp's, even the delicate plants of Drosera and Pinguicula.

sooo.... what mixture to use? how often? how long untill i see a difference in the pests? any after care nessasary for the plants after treatment?
thanks so much.
Andrew

I used it for thrips with good results, and mixed it to the concentration indicated for generic ornamentals. If I remember correctly, it was 3.7 g for 4 litres of solution. I used two applications about 1 week apart.

It was used on my entire utric collection with no noticible negative effects (for me or the plants). It smells like rotting flesh though.

It works on contact as well as having some systemic effect. I noticed results immediately, and the plants showed signs of recovery in days. I did not see any bugs after the day I applied it - the second application was just to make sure I got everything and wasn't breeding resistant pests.

I have not seen a single aphid or thrip since.

so, you mixed it. put it in a spray bottle and sprayed away? kept everything sitting in the water tray etc etc?
Thanks!

My experience is like dodecatheon's. And yes, just put it in a spray bottle and sprayed away. Seems to have worked with zero negative effect on some sarras and a vft with minor aphid infestations. Nearby drosera, which got some overspray were also unaffected. However, my bottle is Orthenex, with an X. Seems to be the same, but ??.

In any case, it worked to my satisfaction. I keep a spray bottle around pre-mixed just in case.

Capslock

Just remember orthene has been found to be the most toxic gardening pesticide,so be very careful!
wow.gif

Back