What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool!

My D. lasiantha flower opened today. It's bright pinkish purple and 1.5 cm across, nearly as big as the entire plant. I will try and get a picture sometime this week.

First D. echinoblasta, with big orange flowers, then D. roseana with fragrant white flowers, now this.

Yay.

See?!!! You are falling under the sundew spell. Soon there will be no return for you. Seek larger growing space, you're going to need it once the full blast hits!

I'm dependent on my windowsill to grow pygmies. I stick em in the dirt and put them on the windowsill and water them whenever I remember to. The plants take care of the rest. Any more intervention on my part would probably kill them.

If mine don't produce gemmae, I will be upset... I don't think I have enough light for pygmies, I may trade them off... When are the gemmae produced? Do the plants themselves go into dormancy?

Light is essential, and so is an accurate photoperiod. Dormancy is a tentative issue with the pygmys, I try to avoid it in my plants, but sometimes this doesn't work. Gemmae will be produced in healthy plants when the daylength is 11 hrs. or less for most species.

I've always had fairly reliable gemmae production with my pygmies. They sometimes die after flowering, but there has always been enough gemmae to keep them going.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 14 2002,11:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Light is essential, and so is an accurate photoperiod.  Dormancy is a tentative issue with the pygmys, I try to avoid it in my plants, but sometimes this doesn't work.  Gemmae will be produced in healthy plants when the daylength is 11 hrs. or less for most species.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
O I was going to get some gemmae for pygmies and leave them on my window or something, but photoperiod accuracy is necessary??...
I guess I shall wait until next year to grow them then...

I have some D. 'Lake Badgerup'!
smile.gif
(none for trade, though)
confused.gif
wink.gif

Putting them on a windowsill works perfectly for me. And I've killed D. binata and capensis!

Back