What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

earwigs

are earwigs bad for plants ?
i recently left a young plant outside and something nibled away its new leafs ? is that what earwigs do ?
there is a earwig being tortured on a strand of spider web
SHOULD I KILL IT ?

My purp gets like ten or so.... maybe more a night...

Earwigs are not bad for plants. If I remember correctly, they like damp environments and they feed off of decaying matter. We have bunches of them here, they are like pill bugs, interesting and harmless in every aspect that I can think of.

T. Buck.

You have to be careful: they like to crawl in human ears and lay eggs (hence the name).

That's the old folklore sarracenia. They belived that as they thought the pincers on the end were used to cut into the victim's ear drum then it went into the brain and layed eggs there. When the eggs hatched they would have something to eat: the brain and that is how the victim would end up dying. At least that is what alot of nuts thought back then with witches and town mobs.
biggrin.gif

well, to be fair to our ancestors... they probably saw some earwigs crawl out of a dead persons ear, and leaped to a conclusion.

Funny thing is though, insects laying eggs in orifices is NOT unheard of...

Back