Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fungi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay, if the fungi attacking your plant is bad, it will make more bad spoors and your growing area is infected and yes you have to deal with it. Not all fungi is bad however, and most of the time you won't even see it unless you are digging the plant out for a differn't reson. about 1% of fungi spoor in the air of an open area is bad on average. Like I was saying, if you have a closed space with bad fungi multiplying you have a problem. The issue is that when people have no problem, but accidentally descover a fungi somewhere and feel the need to kill it. I guess what I was trying to say is each individual situation should determin it's own requirments and not blindly follow whatever works for someone else. BTW 25% bad spoor would be a lot, lol
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Tristan @ Oct. 16 2002,06:38)
    I would say that 90% of the time if you get a fungus outbreak then you need to look at you culturing method. Too much humidity, not enough light, not enough air circulation, ect, things like that could all be problems. Can't fix the problem? Maybe you should just grow another type of plant or even look for a nursery with more vigorous plants (I'm not trying to imply anything with that). In the long run this will fix the problem(s) instead of curing the symptoms.[/QUOTE]
    Definetly. I had a little algea (not a fungi) problem last winter and as soon as I opened up the bag to air a but more it cleared up [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a big difference between habitat and cultivation. In habitat, there is good indication that mycorhizae form associations with many, if not all, species. Different mycorhizal fungi species can associate with each other, as well as with companion species of plants, forming a network for carbon exchanges in habitat. This is a network present in habitat.

In cultivation, this network is not present. Mycorhizae may indeed be beneficial, but there is no scientific literature that I am aware of that addresses mycorhizal associations specifically in CP, either in habitat or cultivation.

In cultivation, many species of CP are exposed to species of fungi which are non-native in their habitat. Since there is no resistance, such plants are especially sensitive to these fungi species.

Not all fungi are mycorhizal (associating with the root hairs). Many fungi are parasitic on live plants. Mycorhizal fungi associate with the roots, and the main studies have focused on associations with tree roots, not with CP in general.

Until some real science is done, I will stick to my guns regarding the prevention and elimination of fungi and algae. Potential destruction of plants is a *very* real possibility, and the possible speculative potential benefits of other fungi do not offset this fact.

Fungi break down the substrate and release the nutrients into the mix. Blue green algae fixes atmospheric nitrogen into the mix. Fungi can attack live plant tissue, and can spread rampantly through spores. These are facts, and the results are detrimental to good culture.

I see a lot of percent values, what are you basing these statistics on? If you are drawing from information in published literature, please quote the source?

I am not trying to be disagreeable or negative. I encourage you to do some controlled experiments, but do not assume that limited and uncontrolled observation equals fact.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know. I was sagesting people start collecting data. Science is observation. As for the % it's from my bioclass which means it's somewhere in Campbell Reece Biology Sixth Edition. To be precise, the relationships are best studied in orchids because they can not survive in cultivation without making sure they have their symbiotic systems intact. This was a mager break through for their growers because it explanced why the success of germination and cultivation was so widely varried from one plant to the next. Potted plants aren't really all that differn't from wild in terms of microbial links, they just may be more liminted. Also remember that fungi can do a lot of differn't things for plants, not just attach to their roots. I'm not saying we know anything and I'm not telling people with large collections to stop treating them as a large collection. I'm simply sugesting we start documenting traits of organisms we fined living in, on and around our plants to better understand them. I can't effectivly to controled studies without somewhere to start.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh! I can't keep up either. I have two kids to chase around and hardly have the time or quiet to read all of this. So for now I'm just going to comment on one thing darcie said a few posts back. Over-use of antibiotics...I agree!
    There's a reason why our medical scientists are starting to fear backlash of sorts with "super bugs" and all those sorts of things. Flue shots, treat what's not there and contribute to the development of a super strain that you'll most likely die from. Smart, real smart! Antibiotics do have their place, but in my himble opinion they are TOO WIDELY DEPENDED ON by humanity now-a-days.

And that's my 2 cents! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    To live we must learn to forgive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice changeup cn [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

I try to never take antibiotics. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Arrow

Dyflam...

pass me a few beers [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<Several beers>> [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

9. Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast