Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It makes me mad and furious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from everybooks I read , to every article i read about cps they say that carnivorous plants will soon be extinct from the wild very soon . it true , inconsiderate ppl poach these plants , they destroy there habitatas , they don';t even know what carnivorous plansta re all about . also when you go to a local nursery and see carnivorous plants , then you can a person who works there how to care for them , they tell you the wrong info , its really sad . too many ppl think these plants will die when you get them , they'll eat you , they carry diesease ,but there wrong , very wrong . someday in the future , i hope that alot more ppl will understand cps more correctly and will help conserve them in the wild .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    goldtrap,

while your concern that CP's are becoming extinct is valid, you need to realize also that countries and people all over the world have taken steps to protect many populations, and there are still places where they do indeed thrive.

One thing to remember though, is that because of our hobby, a good portion of our plants will never go extinct, because we care for them, multiply them, and responsibly enter new individuals into the hobby who do the same as we do.

People like Tamlin are doing great things, his mission to spread rare sundews across the planet with no self intrest is a noble and useful cause, because of him, these plants take root all over the world in the collections of responsible hobbyists, and if any plants do go extinct, and it happens that a person like Tamlin has taken the time to spread them throughout the community, it will be far easier for ecologists to re-integrate them into the wild at some point.

Also remember, this is a good reason not to assign a name to a plant if you don't really know what it is, it's a good reason to get multiple clones of plants, to broaden the gene pool in our collections, and of course, it's not only a good reason not to poach, but an even better reason to have responsible seed collection practices, just a few seeds from a group of plants can provide a broad depth of genetic material for tissue culture... and I may be wrong, but that is where great companies like Borneo Exotics and Malysiana Tropicals come in.

Any how, the future is not all as dark and gloomy as you think it is... not saying cp's in the wild have a bright and shiny future, but they DO have one.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news. I believe this may have already been posted but here it goes again.

The ICPS (International Carnivorous Plant Society) has been given permission by the Government to sell endangered Sarracenia on a limited basis but more importantly they now can distribute endangered seeds to its members.

If anyone is growing endangered (legal) plants this is a great forum (**********) for distributing seed but the ICPS is another good way to distribute seed to the CP comunity.

If anyone reading this is not a member, you should check them out. You can also donate money towards thier conservastion programs. There are other groups out there as well doing conservation work to which you can donate money or time.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Goldtrap, have you been checking the date of the books you have been reading? About 30 years ago, many plants where on the verge, but since then, a lot of effort by people all over the world has really improved numbers.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why all the worry?

I expect that the post-mankind planet Earth, with its endless miles of sterile ground and dearth of higher animal life, will provide an excellent place for new carnivorous plant species to develop.

Intelligence was a probably bad adaptation, long-term, for an ape species--too much individual drive to dominate, leading to recklessness. Homo sapiens will pay the price for this problem, while being, amusingly enough, the only animal on the planet capable of understanding it.

So relax. The plants will be fine. We won't get to see them, of course...

Steve
    I'd rather have a butterwort in front of me than a...wait, ummm...I'll come up with something...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess its not much of a problem from all of your sayings , but i hope this problem won't get really big in the future .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The populations that are considerable threatened are usaully the wild ones that "get in the way" of malls, buildings, etc.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

yah, but thankfully bogs make lousy building locations, lol!
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast