Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A nepping we will go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love more info! :smile:
    Have you noticed the lack tourist info about Borneo, even on the Net, it took me quite a whille to even find out what country it came under!! Do you know any good travel books about it?
    Rosie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how much you know about Borneo so my apologies if the info here appears condescending.

Borneo is divided in to two parts, the northern third owned by Malaysia and is further divided into two states, Sabah and Sarawak. The southern two thirds is owned by Indonesia and is called Kalimantan. Indonesia has named each area for the direction it lies, eg: Kaltim = Kalimantan Timur = east Kalimantan.
    Oh yeah, you also have Brunei stuck in the middle of the two Malaysian states.

Malaysia is a lot more organised and you should find quite good info on travelling in Sabah and Sarawak. It's pretty easy to get around, they have good roads, shops, etc. It's just like a western country. Lonely planet have comprehensive travel guides on those two states.

Indonesia is quite different. Roads are scarce and most of the remote towns are only reachable by light aircraft. There are lots of rivers but Borneo is famous for its massive rapids and you wouldn't make it up many of the rivers. There is a mission system that has regular light aircraft flying into the middle of the island. What all this means is that there is still heaps to discover on the Indonesian side as it hasn't been explored that much. It also means that it is time consuming to get around and you can waste a lot of time and effort trying to get somewhere and then find you are on a wild goose chase. I did that a few years back in East Kalimantan looking for campanulata!

Email me if you still want to discuss it further. hachiya@indosat.net.id

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Troy,
    Thanks for the info, it's not at all condescending, I thought that Borneo was entirly Malaysian - top quality research as you can tell, so i am glad to have been set straight. I will definatly email you!
    Did you see the thread 'discovery article on Neps'? It's about searching for N.campanulata in Borneo.
    Rosie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do you post pics here,i have tried but i dont know how too.any help would be much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I did see that article and it annoyed the heck out of me!!
    The original campanulata was found at a site called Ilaas Bungaan, a few days walk up a river, in east Kal. I went to east Kal and followed the directions and found the site but it was entirely burnt out. I wasted a total of three weeks in the area looking around for it in other likely places but struck out. I did find mapuluensis which is kinda cool, and a sh*tload of mirabilis. Call me a snob but I don't have either mirabilis or gracilis in my collection as I consider they are almost a noxious weed. There was a VERY interesting mountain that the locals tell me had about 5 different species on it, and from their description one sounded like campanulata. Trouble was they said they had only ever been up the mountain once, in a chopper with some mining people, and they thought it was haunted so I could NOT get anyone to take me up. Also, given that most non CP people cannot tell that lower and upper pitchers (which as you know can be vastly different) are actually the same plant, I guessed that there were more likely 2 or 3 species up there.

Anyway, warrants more investigation but it is HARD WORK in that area!!

Chien Lee is a lucky guy!!
    He is extremely good at what he does, and he found campanulata in bloody WEST Kalimanatan I believe.

Go figure....

Cheers, Troy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12