Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A nepping we will go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After MANY delays, yesterday I finally bought my air ticket to Padang in Sumatra. Iíll be going near the end of June and staying for about 2 weeks. Iíll arrange for a hire car to be waiting for me at the airport so I can cut loose as soon as I arrive.

Iíve just been sitting here on the floor, surrounded by all my maps, planning where Iíll be going. I will probably hang out in Bukittingi for a few days and do a few ďeasyĒ mountains to start with. Iím going to take my little guy whoíll be 7 so he will need some practise too.
    After that I plan to head south to Sungaipenuh to do a few mountains there, and then north to Sibolga and lake Toba. I am hanging to try Gunung Pangulubao again.

From past trips I expect to see about 19 species including ampullaria, adnata, bongso, inermis, singalana, carunculata, tobaica, gracilis, reinwardtiana, longifolia, sumatrana, eustachya, albo-marginata, spectablis, mikei, rhombicaulis, spathulata, talangensis and some other thing that looks like a strange singalana. IF I have the time and inclination I might try going up Talakmau again to see dubia as itís SUCH a cool plant.

I went to see some people at the university here in Denpasar and they are happy to give seed culture a shot for me so Iíll try to score some seed, as well as a bunch of pics, of course.
    My son will be on his school holidays and I will get him to make a diary and Iíll take pics for it so heíll have something interesting for show and tell when he goes back to school.

This anticipation leading up to the trip is almost as much fun as the trip itself!

YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA !!

Cheers, fatboy.

PS Sorry, not trying to rub it in but you guys are the only ones that will appreciate this trip like I do. Everyone else here goes back to Australia for their holidays and they all think I'm mad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fatboy don't forget the Droserae! Remember to look down and keep an eye peeled for Drosera indica red form seeds:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Edited by Tamlin Dawnstar at 9[img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]9 am on May 23, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woot! Sounds AWSOME! Can't wait to see the Pics!
    Tony

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just about to say you better take pics I doubt if any of us would forgive you if you forgot your camera (quick go pack it now!) :cheesy:
    I am so envious!!!! That would be awesome!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky you! What a trip! Wish I were going. But I can live vicariously through your descriptions. And that's neat your son is going too. I know you'll have a blast and can't wait to hear about it. And see the PICS.

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhhh, I'm so jelous!! I've been casualy planning a trip to Borneo for quite a while, hte problem is, noone will go with me. My partner says that he gets enough CP's at home, so why whould he want to pay loads of money and travel half way round the world to see more! None of my friends are interested either. I nearly convinced my mum to come with me, but she reckons she's too busy now. People are boring aren't they. I'll get there eventualy, even if I have to go on my own.
    Rose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there Rosie

If things go according to plan I am hoping to do another trip later in the year to Borneo. Borneo is very different to Sumatra, there is not nearly as much infrastructure and in most places there is not nearly the variety of species.

Don't go to Kinabalu, it's very pretty but you may as well go to your local herbarium.
    I am planning on flying in to Balikpapan, from there to Tanjungredeb and then hire a canoe to go up the river to climb Gunung Guguan. It's about 10,000 feet (2,800m) and very isolated. I feel there's a small chance of finding something new as I don't think anyone has been up there.
    There's another right in the middle of the island that another friend of mine wants to do with me too.

Let me know if you want to know more details, who knows...?

Cheers, fatboy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast