What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vent Here...

• Thread starter Parasuco
  • Start date
Um gold slinger I happen to be a telemarketer and you know... I can let that slide but that could be considered offensive to others so I would apreciate it if you played nicely and kept some cmmments to your self....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Go back to school, folks[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I have been to school plenty but needed a job and some fast cash. Not that I need to give any exscuse for me working and providing for myself and daughter.

As far as inmates calling you, they no longer do that at least not in Washington State because of some problems they had. Even if they were would that be a problem? Because I am also an exconvict myself. Personally I don't see what that matters when they are just telemarketing heck at least they are trying to make money and learn some people skills.

By the way if you are busy in the tub why do you answer the phone?
confused.gif
If its important they will call back or leave a message.
I laugh at people all day that I tick off. I think its so funny how they can get all upset over a simple 30 second phone call or how they can go on and on about how they dont have the time to talk to me when they could have just said no and finished the conversation way before I laugh my *** off at them and hang up. Yes I laugh, I laugh every time I hear someone get mad it's just so stupid I mean come on its just a stinking phone call, if you are in bed or putting the kids to sleep turn it off, if you are sitting down to eat and dont wanna be bothered well then dont answer. Hm... I wish my life were so simple that I could get so upset over something so petty.

My sister used to be a telemarketer for the duration of her pregnancy... It was easy work that she didn't have to break her back over... Its no big deal. People only get mad because they think its a fun reason. I think that working for a telemarketing place would be a great job... Right now I work somewhere where all I do is strenuous physical labour, and I'm getting tired of it... As a full time student who has studying to do, having to get up and start sweeping for three hours straight, or carrying dirt, or moving huge boxes of this and that is not exactly a stress reliever. I think it might be a bit better if I could sit down, sell some stuff, and get my pay... From both ends, I really don't see how its such a bad thing. Alot of people are just socialized to think its so absolutly wrong...
confused.gif

Telemarketing is thankless and very stressfull work. Your pay check depends on you trying to convince someone who is being absolutely ignorant to you that you are not the enemy and to buy the product you are selling. For myself, I was lucky to make 2 sales in a day. This gave me all of $5 commission. The only time I made any good sales was on previous customer calls. Then I could sometimes make 25 a day. But you try making a living calling people you don't know to try and convince them they want or need a product or service. Most businesses rely on telemarketing to bring in customers. Phone companies, banks, furnace cleaning, etc. I'll never do it again. I'd sooner work at McDonalds, because at least there I'd get a solid paycheck and everyone you deal with already wants what you're selling.
If you gotta get fast work to pay bills or pay for your child's daycare, school, or mortgage you take what you can get. Telemarketing and places like McDonalds are "low" on the scale and most people mock those jobs. But a beggar who can't be a chooser will take the money where they can get it no matter what others say. Again I say, telemarketing is a very thankless job, and research has shown in the last 2 years that telemarketing is close to the top of the list of most stressful jobs. I envy no one who needs to do it.

The topic was 'VENT HERE'

Since pet peeve's almost always involve other people, of course some people are going to be offended. I'm sure people have had bad experiences with jewelers which wouldn't offend me.

If I would have said Taxi Cab Drivers that cut me off and almost cause a wreck, there may be one out there with a VFT ON his dash board that would be offended on this forum.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Go back to school, folks.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That was an offensive, insulting and quite the nasty comment.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I shouldn't have to get outta the tub to tell someone NO to something I didn't set up in the first place.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Like Shelly said... Why could you get out of the tub to answer the phone? You're the one who got out of the tub, we didn't drag you out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Kansas just adopted a law to sign up for a 'no call list' provided to telemarketers.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
And you get mad when a telemarketer gives you the number for you to call to get put on the no call list too I suspect, correct?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm sure people have had bad experiences with jewelers which wouldn't offend me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You generalized: "What did telemarketers do before that market strategy was invented?  They worked at another dead end job while a few got rich off of them."... *looks around* Bad experiece with Jewelers, I walk in, I think you totally ruined my chain, I don't like you now... I shall now generalize, apply my contempt to every jeweling soul out there, and say "I hate Jewelers. They all suck. I have to get out of the tub just to have them ruin my expensive gucci chain..."

Yes the topic Is called "Vent Here" but that doesnt mean you get to be offensive to others so I ask again Please refrain I am not saying that you cant pick a job and say it annoys ya heck I hate getting stuck behind a garbage truck but you dont see me ranting how they should go back to school and so on insulting thier person.

I'm sure Phil and the other mods for that matter will back me up when I say please play nicely and learn to have some tact in your venting.

And my last job was in social services at the hospital here and the one before that was a receptionist. I know a few that have it as a second job since they bust thier butts at the first they want a less strenuous job.

Oh and Thanks Greg
wink.gif

A receptionist huh? Then you are familiar with the sign: "I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either."

We have it hanging in our office on the secretary's desk
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey! I'm the one that came to the telemarketers' defense!
wink.gif

Maybe I shouldn't have, seems to have started something here.
sad.gif

Sorry for starting the war. But I'll just sit back now and watch the carnage! LOL

Let's all play nicely here without getting personal, ok?
I believe that every person who is working at an honest job needs to be respected. There are a number of jobs that may be distasteful to others but still are due respect. Not everyone may have the resources to get an advanced education. Many people who work in the jobs others don't like are doing so to keep body and soul together. In todays job market there are plenty of very educated people also working in jobs that may be considered by some to be annoying. And there are plenty more folks out of work who can't find any job at all. So let's show some kindness here. If you have a gripe you can state it but no personal comments which might offend others or be hurtful..please.

People come so eager and leave so bitter
tounge.gif
...hehehe lol

hahaha I like that Travis good one
biggrin.gif

I feel telemarketing is an invasion of my privacy. Because of telemarketers and surveyors I no longer answer my phone... all calls are screened. The real pisser is when I get a call from a telemarketer and they get on my answer machine and say "hello, hello, hello, is anybody home?", like they know me or something. No offense to you honest working telemarketers but be prepared for some rudeness if you use some of the despicable tactics I have been subjected to.

I have to say, when I was telemarketing...we had auto dialers that pulled up numbers with names and addressed on a computer screen. The hardest and most embarrassing part of that was calling up and asking for "so-and-so". They'd say wrong number and then I'd have to save the call by saying something like "Oh sorry, is this the lady/man of the house?". At that exact second they know you are a telemarketer, and it was always so embarrassing! Now when someone calls and does that to me I just hang right up knowing exactly who it is! The job was hard and stressful, but then and even now it still doesn't change my opinion that it is annoying to be and be called by telemarketers. But as I said...they've a job to do!
wink.gif

The problem is this;

you answer the phone; it's almost a have to.
What if it's the Highway Patrol or the E.R telling you that you'd better get to the hospital and tell your loved one involved in wreck goodbye before they turn off the life support. God forbid this happens to anyone, but if constant
annoyance of answering wasted calls makes people 'not get out of the tub' fearing it's another cry of 'wolf', what a shame that would be to miss that job opportunity calling you back, or whatever the case may be. Someone may say, get an answering machine. Why should I have to? I pay a phone bill for legitimate phone calls, I pay darn good rent and utilities to have an opportunity to serve the public whom willingly come to my store. I guarantee you, if I ruin a chain and I don't make it right; small claims court would make me. (never had to, thankfully.

In my statements above, sure, I was venting anger towards a group of people, instead of tactfully venting anger towards certain peoples actions, and I apologize for that. I was a copier technician for 14 years watching the supervisor position go past me three times. I was raising three kids on 8.90 an hour and it took me 10 years for me to get that. I worked nights at a Pizza joint to give my kids a good Christmas. I worked nights at a Radio Shack during the holidays another year for the same reason. What was my way out of this mess? What was my revenge? While working there I was developing my skills as a custom jeweler. I worked 8 hours full time working on copiers in my regular job, and repaired and made jewelry for another 4 to 6 hours in the basement of our rented house in the evening. I took correspondance courses through the GIA, and as my clientel grew and grew, I finally took a leap of faith and opened a full time store almost five years ago and haven't looked back. This was a culmination of 20 years! In this 'now' society, that must seem like a lifetime.

We all have had hard times, but we all have an equal 24 hour period at our disposal. You can munch chips in front of Oprah, or you can take night classes. You can get on the chat lines, or you can read a book. You can bar hop, or you can work a second job and do such a good job, that a new opportunity may arise.

I feel that most people aren't doing their job because they want to, but because they have to, and that's a terrible burden. I'm pleased to tell you that I finally love what I do and most days can't wait to do it again the next day, and I wish and feel that most people deserve that opportunity. But someone else isn't going to do it for you.

In the words of a coach;
"Don't complain, because 9 out of ten people don't care, and the other 1 is glad it's you and not them!"

If you are a telemarketer today, and love it, go for it; because if you love what you do, it shines and won't go unrecognized (usually) and an opportunity will arise. Then, I have wrongly accused that occupation as a 'dead end' job. This isn't going to change the fact that you are going to tee off the majority of the public who answers the phone.

If you hate being a telemarketer and not doing anything about it, then don't expect sympathy from someone who's had to claw their way and is still clawing.

If you hate being a telemarketer (or any other job for that matter) and ARE doing something to better yourself; overcoming obstacles (some people have more than others), then you have my respect and full support.

Forget mistakes of the past, dump them like yesterday's trash.
Foget what people have said about how 'silly' your idea or goals are (most stem out of jealousy).
Don't be your own worse enemy,
Don't apologize for your success' and don't make excuses for your Failures. Oh, yea, and don't be afraid of expressing you opinions.

p.s. No, I'm not running for office; this is my culmination of 38 years of the school of hard knocks.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

IronMonkey I undertand and respect your sentiment. Self-righteous people can really be a bother. I understood what you were trying to get across.

Now lets get off this venting non-sense and start repressing our anger and keeping it to ourselves.
biggrin.gif

i have always said a eye for a eye - if you kill someone then your killed to - putting them in jail is useless - in other countires they cut your arm off just for stealing something from a store.

You want to watch something interesting go watch a trail. Geez, sometimes you just want to scream and give up. It is just great when the defense does not mind admitting his client's guilt, but argues that law enforcement could not have legally found out about that guilt...hog wash...and wins.

*sigh*

When your cat eats one of your new Spatulata seedlings
sad.gif
mad.gif
and uproots your new Capensis and leaves it for dead on the floor.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Steve

Back