Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Many thanks! To name a few professionals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I like about the anonimity is that it puts us all on equal footing. No titles here , please. No letters after your name, no accredations. Your contributions will not be better because you spent 10 years in school. Your accomplishments will not make you kinder or more generous. If you have something to teach, then teach! Tell us what you have learned, and our respect will follow. If you have something to share put it on the table. If you have nothing to offer but are genuine in your love for these plants, then take what others give freely and offer your thanks for it. Don't assume that your education, your employment or your years automatically grants you some type of superiority, it does not. Not here. Let the affairs of ego and contention and accountability go, they have no place here where there is no arena of the ego. In this community we do not "debate", we "discuss". In this place you are a name only: and you are only as good as that name proves to be. I like it like this. Sometimes I have no idea if I am addressing an 11 year old or someone of an age with me, a male or female, a citizen of the U.S. or someone from Sweden. Since I will probably never meet most of the members, this matters little to me. What does matter is the friends I have made, and our shared love of this hobby. Even if the whole world is at war with itself, at least here is a civil world community, united in a common love of something more than power and wealth. Like the plants we love, this attitude itself seems in danger of extinction - and like the plants is worthy of preservation.

Vote for Tamlin for the position of W orld E xpert in the I dentification of R osetted D roserae. (Consider the anacronym&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] My slogan: "A sundew in every pot".

Nurse, my medication please.
    "Grow More, Share More"

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Tamlin. Those is qualities are what kept me from being a 'lurker', safe in my anonymity, to a participant in this forum. The friendship and respect shown by all in this and other PFT forums is a rare gem. The like of which is not found in many forums.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Smile

GROUP HUG!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

At first I was very upset with the comments that I saw on the ICPS board. I understand that they are a few of the 1000+ people the ICPS has, but I thought to myself:

"If this person and this person and this person share these feelings, I can only imagine what others feel."

I know it isn't a great thought to have. But the fact is, I get very protective of this place.

Everyone here I consider friends, close family.

And to me, the words of a few, without a lot of response of applaud, or even others saying 'dude, chill' set me off into another orbit.

Phil and others around me can tell you that I was very unhappy....on many levels...

I had even composed several 'letters' with my thoughts...some to put in this forum..and yet others for the listserv.

My point, if there is one, is that we have worked very hard to make this as much of a community as we could.

There are many people around the world, and for some, this is their only outlet to discuss these plants...OR to meet people to trade with. OR to just go to a 'happy place' and not fear anyone's ignorance.

So when I saw the 'few' that wanted to poke a stick at what we have made, it still set me off. I don't think that some TRULY know what all we have put into the CP world. I am not talking about selling plants. I am talking about the other stuff that we do behind the scenes that many people don't see.

PFT staff ( and friends ) take great pride in what we do, and we feel we are doing something positive for this community/world.
    ----

I preach love becuase that is what we need. Spicing things up will only lead to someone's feeling getting hurt. Someone feeling like they are less than you. NOT COOL.
    ----
    Keeping names hidden is perfect for those that don't know much. OR just don't want people to know how old they are, or whatever.

Anyway...we can debate the good of this forum and the wonderful people that inhabit it all day. I have nothing but kind words for you all and great respect ( especially the ones that contribute tons of information and their time ).

There will always be a few bad apples everywhere ( we have had our share here as well ). I know that people will speak out against things they cannot just understand. Some people choose to ignore the good and just go for the bad. So be it.

I know what we ( that means everyone ) have built something here that is exponentially better than any other CP site ( or for that matter any other discussion forum ).

You are all great people, and I am blessed to have had this chance to meet you all and I will continue to strengthen relationships I have started, as well and build new ones that have yet to show their faces! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    *sips beer* I LOVE YOU guys MAN!!

...This is the only cp forum i visit. no one has ever given me a reason to look else where... i am glad i found this place way back when... and i am happy i stayed. even threw the slow times (when the forum didn't move for days it seamed). but i did stay. here i am... surrounded by many talented people. and many people that make great friends... and many talented people that make great friends [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]. as i see it. those with negative energy. can either switch to the good side (of positive energy) or *poof* be gone... i hope you all join us over here. it really IS a much much better way to live
    andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received a very encouraging letter from Dr. Barry Meyers-Rice, applauding our good work and lamenting the often harsh climate of the listserve. It got me thinking.

The listserve is not "owned" by anyone. It is our listserve as much as anyones, and it is only as good as its members make it. I have been a lurker there, intimidated by the possibility of being flamed, same as many others. I think the time to lurk is done, and the time to stand up and take my place there has begun. If we want the listserve to be a kinder place, we have to make it kind.

So, I make you all this offer. If you are a lurking member of the listserve, stop lurking and start posting your questions and observations there. I will be there to answer your questions, same as I am here. Enough with wishing the listserve could be "more friendly", its time to make it happen. Lets try to draw out the good elements that are certainly there, waiting for the revolution!

I intend to contribute a *lot* more there. It should prove interesting to say the least :-) I have donned by flame proof spandex: look out world, here I come, with a new layer of very thick skin: Look! Up on the listserve: Its a PhD, no: it's
    a fool,no: its Loveydovey man! (I make my first post there as soon as I can find a broom closet and figure out how to put this cape on).
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Tamlin, you crack me up! Your sense of humor is as bizarre as mine. Poor fellow. Get that cape on quickly! Hope you look good in spandex.
    Oh Doctor, it's time to up William's medication again [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    Boy am I ever sorry I opened up this Can 'O Crickets...
    I'll think twice before I thank anybody again in public
    Truly though, you are all terrific and do such marvelous things for this place and probably for the world in general. I'm so proud to be a tiny part of this group.
    Huge kudos to Dr. Barry Meyers-Rice ! Another man of vision!
    (Geez I just thanked someone in public again-get my restraints back on)
    The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. And the management will be happy to hear that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greenhouse,

No need to apologize [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Maybe I was just showing a little bit of vanity, but my main reason for bringing it up was more for fun that anything else.

Pete,

Nope, I don't plan on being a barrister but the trait seems to be stuck in me. Doubtless from one of my parents (I had to get something from them.)

Tamlin,

Here, here. I too will make an effort to not be such a listserv-lurker and will speak up whenever and where ever I can.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greenehouse1, I'd be terribly disappointed if you didn't post a thank-you again. Besides, it's your duty as a mother to stir things up occasionally and get the "kids" thinking on things in general. Complacency is just another word for not doing anything and going with the status-quo. That is a slow way to bordom and stagnation for societies, people, and forums. So I must thank you for keeping the status quo from being static [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] .

Thank you, Greenhouse1
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast