Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Many thanks! To name a few professionals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Thank you so much to the professional, kind voices of reason who posted favorable comments regarding **********/Exotic Gardens on the CP listserv...to name a few...Tamlin Dawnstar, Mike King, and a gentleman named Joseph Clemens. They are all stars in my book!
    This may be a bit lengthy but here it is.
    I recently joined the listserv so I could observe and learn more about CPs. How astonished I was to find many of the "posters" there to be not only full of knowledge but also full of themselves. Such an elitist group I have seldom witnessed. Many of them seem to be unduly harsh regarding this "sweet little site" and too arrogant to share their wealth of information to newcomers and hobbyists. Such a shame.
    If they only knew how **********.com began and how it has evolved they might be amazed. To compare ********** to a pet rock is sad. The concept of having a carnivorous plant as a "pet" is to say the owners here treat their plants with loving care and concern (as many with people with conventional pets do) and hope that others will do the same. The naysayers do not know of what they speak or care whom they hurt. Did it ever occur to them that these plants may have been the only type of "pet" that Phil or Jeff could have as children? Some people are allergic to conventional pets and adopt other things in their places.
    Also, this site was begun out of care and concern for the environment and the endangered plants on our planet. It was begun too to help educate the young and create an awareness of these fun and fascinating plants so they may continue to thrive. The interest in these plants for Phil began at a very young age and he educated himself about them and studied them. It was, as I see it, a bold move to dedicate his career to this endeavor. This site and business has not been an easy path for Phil or Jeff. Jeff too has a true calling and cares much for all things living and endangered. This site and business is not an easy thing and they are still learning and growing. They have tried to create a kind and gentle place where all will feel welcome. For this I applaud them. They welcome one and all. They share information and have tried to accomodate every level. They live simply , have sacrificed much, and are often under much stress to keep this place going. It's not an easy task.
    So to everyone here who supports this site and is kind enough to stand up and defend it to the intelligensia and the general public, you have my personal thanks! I thank you for your courage to speak! Your help will preserve the future of CPs for generations to come.
    Hopefully this treatise has been taken in the spirit in which it was meant....for you see I am the mom of one of the owners..and I know firsthand what has and does go on behind the scenes of **********. It is a truly wonderful place and makes me proud every day [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. And the management will be happy to hear that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People diss PFT

*blinks.... eyes glaze over, twinkle*

Have they been here, or just read the name? Maybe they are the farts who have no imagination, and call their websites "Carnivorous Plants".

I've recently spoken with Phil and Jeff a bit more, and not only are they both dedicated to the hobby, business, and preservation of these plants, but they are some of the nicest people I've ever talked to...

I'm not subscribed to any listserves, as I don't do the email thing a whole lot, but it almost makes me wanna join just to defend the cause...

That truly beffudles me... I don't know wut to say about that... HAS they're been something that they find unnattractive about his site, that they havent given a chance, or is it pure ignorance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a newbie to CP's I have only been growing them for about a year or so. Ever since I started visiting this site my plants have been healthier, everybody here has been so nice and helfpul.

I also ordered a Sarra judith hindle from pft.com, and I just want to say that the quality of the plant, and delivery time was exceptional! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] It is doing so well, thank you to everybody and especially phil and jeff for doing such a good job with everthing.
    I miss my old signature

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

OK. My turn. Pass that soapbox over here. Thank you. After pondering this (I am quite ponderous you know) and some other threads, it seems obvious to me that 1) the other guys are jealous of how well this 'Newbie' site has done and how well everyone treats each other. For seldom is heard a discouraging word and the skies are..... sorry, my mind wandered. Where was I? Oh, yeah, and 2) we as a group need to start helping others learn how to find this stuff for themselves. Tamlin, Phil, Jeff, and many others are working on this and have been working on this for a while. While we can almost always give someone an answer quickly, the information they find for themselves gives them true knowledge of their plant(s) and helps answer questions they haven't thought to ask yet.
    Remember, when you quit learning you might as well be dead, for they are the only ones who have no further use for knowledge.

OK, you can have the soapbox back.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that the sentiments expressed on the CP mailing list are representative of the feelings of the group as a whole. More likely the lists members are wary of flame wars and are not interested in spending valuable plant time composing essays on such minor issues as the relative merits of CP discussion forums. Conversely, grumpy people with lots of time on their hands are the ones who will waste their time criticising the work of strangers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (dodecatheon @ Sep. 15 2002,4:38)
    grumpy people with lots of time on their hands are the ones who will waste their time criticising the work of strangers.[/QUOTE]
    Like I said... The farts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like flame wars either. Just wanted to give thanks where thanks was due. Sorry if I left anyone out who stood in defense of **********. I couldn't read all the posts and thank everyone by name. Thought some of you might like to hear a personal perspective on this site too and wanted to remind readers that knowledge is acquired...few are born brilliant. As we continue on our quest for answers let us consider all the sources and value each for its contribution to us.
    The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. And the management will be happy to hear that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here here... I'll drink to that! (But then again I'll drink to most anything.) Seriously though, I first came to this site looking for information on how not to kill a VFT. Since that time I have become aware of CP's I had never heard of and now am an avid collector of CP's. This website has become much more to me than an information site. Even though we've never met, I consider many of you friends and visit for many other reasons than to just receive technical information. As a matter of fact, I feel I have learned enough so that I may now offer some info. YAY!!
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

9. Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast