User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wild drosera species found...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, it's been an interesting weekend.

I decided to go for a walk through a local park, as I was walking around I was taking in the scenery and running a bunch of thoughts through my head. I ended up walking to one of my favorite spots near this lake (just happens to have a few mats of sphag growing), and standing on the waters edge. I looked down and watched a few fish swim happily by, and some ducks sleeping quietly, their heads tucked in and eyes closed. To my other side I noticed a bit of errosion from the water, and some rocks and sand with a bit of sphag growing on top. Behind quite some blades of grass I noticed pin head sized rubies sparkling. To my absolute amazement I realized that these little gems were just as valuable to me, especially seeing them native (there are so few that I know of that exist here) to this area, and growing in the wild. They appear to be either D. rotundifolia or intermedia. Or perhaps even a hybrid of the two. I'm going to definately try to get some pictures for everyone.

I have a few questions about this though. It's on public land, and the spot they're growing seems to be a pretty frequent spot. It's one of those places a person would fish from constantly and step on quite often. Would it be wrong it take a few (one, maybe two) for preservation? With the idea in mind that I could propagate and reintroduce into the empty larger sphagnum mats that grow in less traveled areas? Also, I was wondering what the views are of doing the same with wild sphagnum? Would it be wrong for someone to take some in hopes of spreading it to a wider area around it?

Thanks guys, I just want to handle this in the responsible manner, and make sure one day my kids could see these wonderful creations growing wild in nature.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as they are not a treatoned species where you live I don`t see why not.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're taking them for the sole reason of reintroducing them into safer spots (when propogated), then I would say go for it! It could help, and it really wouldn't hurt.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving to Conservation at Vertigo's request
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat