What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium

B

Band Geek47

Hey everybody! I have a venus flytrap, and I am beginning to put together a terrarium. I was wondering what plants/ animals (such as frogs, lizards, etc.) will work well with my flytrap. Also, is there any specific conditions (for example, soil conditions/content) that I need to worry about? By the way, I'm planning on having quite a large terrarium. THanks!

Most large animals (for example box turtles) would probably destroy any plants that you have in a terrarium, unless it is REALLY large. I think that your best bet would probably be with something small, like tree frogs. I've been looking around for the past few weeks and I think that poison dart frogs would be an excellent pet to have in a terrarium with living plants.  Check out blackjungle.com, they have lots of information on them and on making terrariums.

I'm gonna see if i can get some books on them. Maybe I can make a poison dart frog terrarium in the future with some of my CPs in it as well.
smile.gif

Joel

I would not recommend poison dart frogs as they constantly secrete the poison which will build up to the point of being lethal to the frogs. Keeping these frogs requires that you change their media and water at least once a week. I got rid of mine because it was just too much of a hassle

Other tree frogs would work well though, as would small geckos and anoles. You might also be able to get away with small salamanders or newts and maybe even a small snake but all of these have a tendancy to burrow occasionally and may disrupt the root systems of your plants.

Hope this helps

Pyro

some nepenthes eat geckos so i would put them in with a nep and watch them get ate. lol

Micky

Pyro,

I used to think the same thing about posion dart frogs (PDFs), but I found out that the poison that they secrete comes from their diet in the wild; they don't produce it on their own in captivity. Check out the  PDF part on blackjungle.com, it says it there and it says it in some other books that I've seen. here it is:
<a href="http://blackjungle.com/dartfrog.htm

Also," target="_blank">http://blackjungle.com/dartfrog.htm

Also,</a> why not try an agentine horned frog...those are the best... just don't feed it too much (I used to have one (10 years ago?)and I hope to get another one in the future)!

Joel

(Edited by mindmaze128 at 8:38 pm on Mar. 31, 2002)

well, u should think about it again. The fecal matter of the animals will build up and might kill your cp's, as feces act like a fertilzer for plants and cp's might ntbe able to take it. i have dealt with many of the terrarium herps, and even though i wouldnt do an animal/cp terrarium, i think the perfect candidate would be the green tree frog, grey tree frog, or a small carrot tail viper gecko (if there are dry area for it to stay. If you want to do a regular plant and animal terrarium ,go for it.

Joel,

I'm only speaking from my experience but mine were secreting the whole time I had them. That is the second reason I got rid of them, I got tired of having to wear gloves to clean their terrarium and of my skin getting 'burned' when I came into contact with them.

I also wouldn't recommend the argentine horned frog for a CP terrarium. These guys love to dig, in fact it is how they 'hunt' burying themselves and waiting for some poor hapless critter to come stumbling along then BAM!! no more critter. They are beautiful but are better in an enclosure where you dont have to worry about them trashing your CPs
smile.gif

I think Ceph's suggestions would work best but you could also consider Red-eyed treefrogs, spring peepers and cricket frogs as well.

Pyro

(Edited by Pyro at 10:16 am on April 1, 2002)

Hey pyro,

Your are right man, experience is always different from what you read in books.
smile.gif

But I still think an argentine horned frog would be cool with CPs. :cool: However, one would have to find a way to protect the roots of the plants. Maybe putting the plant into the terrarium with the pot and then putting big rocks around it would protect it. I think that in a large terrarium N ampullaria would work well, along with some other cool plants, like tillandisa or bromeliads. That would be awesome! But it would have to be fairly large, so that the plants could grow and the frog wouldn't destroy everything! That would be SWEET!

................I NEED MONEY!
sad.gif

Joel

I posted about insects as a possible CP-friendly pet, with arguments for the arrangement, in the VFT forum.

I won't cross-post here.

--Steve

Back