What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing conditions and living conditions

I've been noticing some of the posts about growing problems--fungus, drying out, temperature problems, etc. I'm betting that 90% of these are due to the conditions inside the dwelling in which the plants are housed coupled with growing them according to generic rules. For example, a person growing VFTs in an air-conditioned room in the Fox River Valley (cool temps, high humidity, middling light) is going to get fungus if they stand the pot in a dish of water, no matter how good an idea this is everywhere else.

We can get all that necessary adjustment advice from people here at the forums. And we do--over and over, bless them. I'm wondering if this could not be automated a bit.

Is it possible to create a table that matches light, humidity, and average temperature of the environment (simple data for the grower to get or estimate--the categories "high" "medium" and "low" would do if they were quantified) with the plant and the necessary setup that lets the plant cope? It would take some of the guessing out of it if, for example, the buyer of a plant knew that they'd need a bowl-type, open-top terrarium to grow VFTs under some specific conditions, but an orchid basket and a plant light under others. Couple this with growing-kits-to-match (Why, look--PFT.com sells a bowl-like, open-top terrarium cheap&#33
wink.gif
and it may even make money.

Steve

That sounds like a good idea... It might sorta, uh, neaten the VFT forum up a bit too...

It would also probably help me automate my green house more effectively. Base line info and all.

<<oh look his first post>>

Ghrey

Hey, Ghrey, a newbie! Welcome.

Hi Ghrey! Welcome to the forums! Don't be shy...stick around and post away!

We like new folks.
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

Back