What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long-fibered sphagnum

Hi everyone,

I am seeking a source for long-fibered sphagnum(strong preference towards Chilean or NZ sphagnum). I heard that the Mosser Lee stuff contains lots of twigs, and occasionally dried plants of S.purpurea...I cannot find a store in LA that carries this product. An online source is fine as long as the shipping is not $$. I have found a lot of companies that charge handling fees or shippings fees of $7(for a small, lightweight bag)!
I can also swap plants for long-fibered sphagnum(looking for around 2 bags of 500cu. in moss). How about a medium sized P.laueana, pot of D.hamiltonii, sarrs etc.
smile.gif

Not too expensive to order online from thier webpage.

Sphag

Oh I thought this was pretty funny too.
tounge.gif

Sphag2

Thats silly. Have you tried local flower shops? I got some a few years ago at a Fruit Basket Flower Land.

I purchased mine at Earl May. It was NZ and they had various sizes of bags.

Darcie,

The shops around here(general stores, flower shops etc.) only carry the green moss or spanish moss. I have been to many garden stores(local) and chain stores(Home Depot, Orchard, Armstrongs etc.) and I have never seen long fibered sphagnum at these stores.

Copper,
I do not think there are any Earl May stores in my area.

I will purchase the stuff online.

Mike,

I was able to get dried LFS at the Lowe's in Burbank for $4. It made its appearance a couple of months ago. Admittedly, it's a bit twiggy, and I'm not sure where it comes from. Here's the skinny:

Luster Leaf Products, Inc.
220 Techcourt
Woodstock, Il 60098

The bag I got was 220cu. in. though I saw online that they have one double the size. Send me an email if you aren't able to obtain any, I can always deliver it to LACPS if you're going next month.

I gotta say Dyflam posted the best source of clean NZ sphagnum as far as I know theres not a better deal on finer product on the net.
biggrin.gif

It is too bad you guys don't have Earl Mays. Usaully they are very over priced, but I purchased a nice looking 10 lb bag for 19.95. I needed a lot for the bog.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was able to find some at Lowes(1/2 hr. drive). They had the 432cu. in. bags(Luster Leaf) for $3.33(a real bargain). The stuff comes from Chile.

Wickedthistle,
Maybe the store at Pico Riveira is cheaper than the Burbank store?

Hi Mike,

Pico Riveira does sound cheaper, but I live in Burbank so it's easier for me to get it there
wink.gif

Thanks though!

Copper,

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and we have Earl May. Ours sells only the Wisconsin kind for about the price you quoted. I have never seen the premiums kinds at Earl May(another nursery gets Chilean, time to time). I wonder if they goofed and are selling you the good stuff for the price of the cheaper quality Wisconsin stuff.

Regards,

Joe

HEY, It's possible. There mistake is my profit I guess. I'm sure that they will figure it out soon.

The quality of the Chilean sphagnum is very good at this time of the year. The two bags I got contained very few sticks, roots, leaves etc. Maybe the sphagnum is actively growing right now.
The quality of the Chilean sphagnum that I got at the end of summer was poor. There were lots of roots, branches etc.

Back