What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How old were you when you cultivated cp"s

how old were you when you cultivated cp's , what made you interested in them , how did you know about them , why do you think they are so fascinating , how long have you cultivated them , what was the first cp you ever got ? now a few questions for people who went farther , what inspired you to make a green house , buy a whole ton more , make a nursury , turning your house to a jungle of plants . I just was thinking when these questions came to my mind my story is that i was 11 years old and i got interested in cp's somewhere around spring in 2001 . I was interested in them when I was looking inside of a science catalog looking for solar panels when i came by cp's so I got interested so i went to my local greenthumb to buy a venus flytrap then it died after that i brought another , then a sarracenia flava , then a drosera caepensis , at that moment i got a little obsesssed with them but that got out of my system in a week or 2 but they all died . I then found this wonderful website and ordered green dragons and dente vfts , a purple sundew but then I traded them away and sold them to my friend . I soon upgraded to aquatic utrics but i also soon traded and gave them away . after that I got cobra lilies but i traded those away . I soon gave up on cps and got interested in plants such as resurrection and senstive plants witch i still have but I gave my only resurrection plant away . a few months past and i got intersted in aroids and here I am now , trying to start on cp's again .

I think I started around when I was 10 or 11, which means I have been growing CPs for about 3 or 4 yrs. I havent had as much fun growing any other plant than what I have had growing my CPs.

Cole

I started in jan-feb. 2002. WE had moved to califonia for about 8 months then, and the dsl didn't work in alot of town, including my house. (I guess the mayor was knda cheap
tounge.gif
) so when we went to the library to go get books, we also went on the internet. one time I had something I wanted to search on google, but I didn't know what, it was kinda in the back of my brain...hmmm....."oh yeah, CARNIVOROUS PLANTS! so I searched, and PETFLYTRAP showed up! so my dad got me a flytrap, then I got EVERY book on cps at the library and read each like 5 times!, (after alot of "please PLEASE! ok I didn't go please Please&#33
wink.gif
tounge.gif
) and then a month later while he was away he got me a heliamphora! Thats all I needed to get hooked
smile.gif
 I got a darlingtonia, a red dragon flytrap, and the red flytrap is dead, (eaten alive by fungus nats! then I saved two flytraps, two neps, and like 8 adelae in one pot, now one of my "rescued" flytraps is my best after being dead!  
smile.gif

tounge.gif
then for my birthday (mine was on a wednesday, so we went on the sat. before my b-day, which was somehow the same day the BACPS meeting was at his nursery! I got a bargen on a giant 20 in. tall, 2-3 in. wide sarracenia for $35.00. (before I continue, I just want to let you know I wanted just cps for my b-day, and I got just cps&#33
wink.gif
I got some more sarras, a giant red-green dragon flytrap, a ventrincosa and some other plants which added up to $150.00-$200.00!
wow.gif
. then at the next
BACPS meeting...I'll continue later, I got to eat breakfast and one of my fingers hurt from typing AND from being bitten hard by my pacu! see ya!
                        Spectabilis73  
smile.gif
wow.gif

Hi Goldtrap.. have you read the previous thread called "How long have you been growing carnivorous plants" it's similar to this and I think alot of people posted.. Just in case you were interested..
smile.gif

Anyway, here's my answer..
biggrin.gif

I've been plant crazy ever since I was old enough to know what one was. When I was 5 and my mom took me to the store and bought us kids a candy bar or toys I always wanted a plant instead. My room was a jungle! If I wasn't playing with my plants inside then I was at the library reading about them or out hiking for miles and identifying the wild ones.
I've been studying Alaska's native flora for over 10 years. I went to college and took some classes in it, did alot of field research, etc. That led to a few college papers I wrote on our native CP's and the next thing I knew I was hooked.
I've been growing carnivorous plants since the early 90's. My life pretty much revolves around plants and the outdoors. My plants are my kids (and usually my friday night date too =)
Well.. that's me.. bored yet? *laughter*

I first got interested approximately around junior high age. I got a mail-order starter kit from the now defunct WIP nursery. Of course, I didn't have much information on how to grow them. I'm not even sure what kind of plants I got. I vaguely remember a cobra lily, butterwort and a sundew. Needless to say, by the end of the summer they had all perished. I then went into a lull during high school and college. I started growing them again near the end of college, but none of the plants I had at that time are still alive. I finally got serious about it after I finished college and am finally going on 4-5 years without a casualty. However, I only attempt to grow Sarracenia, which are relatively easy. I also have a bunch of sundews that grow like weeds. Not sure exactly what spp. they are, but they keep increasing every year.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">my first and second plant I got from petflytrap. and alot of my other cps. too. I would recomend petflytrap as a place to buy first plants because they are soooo healthy! and I would recomend this site to real experts as well! they have such a large variety of plants! my first plant was a flytrap, of course, which flowered a couple of months ago. and my second was a heliamphora, which is also doing well. I expect to be ordering from petflytrap again soon! but I have one question...how do they ship in the winter and not freeze nep. and other tropicals? thanks [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> started in jan-feb. 2002. WE had moved to califonia for about 8 months then, and the dsl didn't work in alot of town, including my house. (I guess the mayor was knda cheap ) so when we went to the library to go get books, we also went on the internet. one time I had something I wanted to search on google, but I didn't know what, it was kinda in the back of my brain...hmmm....."oh yeah, CARNIVOROUS PLANTS! so I searched, and PETFLYTRAP showed up! so my dad got me a flytrap, then I got EVERY book on cps at the library and read each like 5 times!, (after alot of "please PLEASE! ok I didn't go please Please! ) and then a month later while he was away he got me a heliamphora! Thats all I needed to get hooked ...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

here's the rest...
at the next BACPS meeting, I got a nep. maxima, a drosera capensis, and a drosera adelae. then I ordered a bunch of plants from the "plant liquidation sale" at petflytrap, but the plants haven't arrived yet.
confused.gif
then yesturday at the BACPS meeting I got a nepenthes atlata, (that's how it was spelled, I don't think it's spelled right. though
confused.gif
) a drosera spatulata, (sp?) my first utric, livida, and a huge unknown nep. cutting that I won from the raffle. I sent out two sase s so I'll be getting some pygmy gemmae and some burmonii seeds...hmmm...what will I get next?...oh yeah, a utric. sandersonii! (sp?) I have been luring my mom to the addiction of cps, I think I know what to do. she LOVES sandersonii, (sp?) whith the little bunny-like flowers, and she's dieing for it. THATS what I'm getting next. I hope that catches her on the "cp addiction"
tounge.gif

Back