Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to get free plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Tamlin. That gives a whole new meaning to "Free Love"! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

I've been the "victim" of this philosophy several times already. It's incredible.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,

Whoa. That was a really inpsiring read. I totally and completely agree with you. I had a little bog a few years ago, which was destroyed by a friends dog. Just lately, I've gotten back into cps. Now I have 35 kinds, and have received great joy in giving a few friends vfts and sundews. That was incredibly rewarding, and I look forward to sharing my plants as much as possible. I'm lucky to have been fortunate in business, and the cost of cps isn't significant to me. What is significant is bringing joy and a love of cps to other people. Just by having them, a lot of people who have never seen such things now now about them. I've made it a point to try to propagate the ones I have now. I have several leaf cuttings of various Drosera going right now, plus some very successful Ping cuttings (every single leaf I've plucked from a ping has made a successful new plant.) I look forward to giving them away. I can't wait for an opportunity to propagate my neps.

Tamlin, the world needs more people like you.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, sure, thanks to you all for sharing with me as well :-) lets not let this become a Tamlin testimonial though. I have been thanked a-plenty already. The topic really is "How to get free plants", and this attitude really has worked for me.

I haven't been able to send out stuff as much as I want, and I STILL am being flooded with plants: 11 additions today, 30 more in the mail en route.....

By the way, I have not yet begun to rock. I see a greenhouse in my future in the next year or so with good propagation conditions, heh heh, and when that happens the U.S. Postal Service is going to start earning their pay, yeah!

Like the fat guy in red, I am making a list and checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice.....
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I would like to thank such a wonderful fellow giver too. He's Christian Cerny, who sent me a box full of VFTs and Sarras free...just to give them to my students to teach them more about carnivorous plants!

Till today, which is 2 years later, my students still remember him and their younger peers would come and ask me if I could give them some VFTs. Even students not in my class heard about it! <Chris, are you here?>

Nowadays, although I no longer have VFTs or Sarras (a bad bout of root mealies wiped them out), I have the habit of taking a cutting every other month, pot it and give it away when it is established.

Best thing about giving away? The species is kept within a circle of friends (students included) so if you should lose a plant to disease, just ask for a cutting or seeds. In fact, I've just asked for n.gracilis (deep maroon, almost black pitchers) from my student whom I gave the plant to 2 years ago. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy,

That is an excellent point you make. Giving away plants is the best insurance policy that can be had. I enjoyed Barry Rice's response to a listserve question: "What is the best way to store seeds". Barry's answer was "to send them to as many growers as possible."

I recently lost my plants of my soon to be published cultivar D. "Tamlin". Upon learning of my loss, a forum member who I had sent seed to returned some of the seed I had sent, and I received the packet last week, in the original envelope I had sent it in. I thought that handwriting looked familiar!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll own up to that Tamlin [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] , if there wasn't a few thousand miles of ocean between us I would have probably driven round and given you a pot of seedlings. Actually, you were lucky I still had some seeds left, as well as planting some myself, I have passed this seed on to two other UK growers and given seedlings to another two (that's the Tamlin effect! ).

I've been growing CPs for over twenty years now, but it's only been in the last 14 months since I became an active member of the on-line CP community, that my collection has really taken off. If it wasn't for both Tamlin's philosophy and practice of generously giving plant material to other growers, I doubt I would have followed suit, and it works. There are a lot of growers in the UK, who now have greatly increased their sundew collections thanks to Tamlin. There was a time when I tried to keep up by matching what Tamlin sent, but now I know that's impossible, he just sends you more stuff back! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Just in case you can't wait for the seeds I returned to germinate, here is a photo of a young D. 'Tamlin', I have plenty of these and should be able to send as much seed as you need in the future.

Thanks

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a million things I could say but I really suck at words. I will say that I first 'met' Tamlin just before I moved to Atlanta in September 2001. At the time my growlist was around 20 plants. It is almost 2 years later and because of Tamlins teachings my generosity has rewareded me with close to 250 plants. All from just giving what I could to those who wanted it. It is a special kind of magic [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast