What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Distilled H2O pH

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Just out of curiosity I've been checking the Ph of the distilled water we use where I work. It comes from the local City Market. It's pH has been between 5.83 and 6.15 and the well water we get out of the tap was 8.05 and is loaded with minerals.

Distilling will remove only dissolved solids. Other things like dissolved gases and dissolved volatile compounds may be only partially removed. They can affect the pH particularly in the absence of minerals that normally act as a buffering agent. This is why the pH is not 7.0 as would be expected. It is the dissolved minerals and such that are the main concern for CP use.
Tony

Water is naturally acidic. Actually, water is considered a weak (very weak) acid.

I'm not complaining or worried about the pH. Actually I, prefer to use distilled because it is weakly acidic.

Back