Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spamming at gardenweb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have no experience w/gardenweb but be careful what you say in a forum about others:

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin...threadid=78016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember someone had posted the ********** URL in just about every CP group on GardenWeb. It was clearly a spamming attack on GardenWeb. I know where I work, whenever we get spammed, the system administrator blocks all incoming email from that IP address. It is a common practice by several companies, so I don't see anything unusual at all what GardenWeb has done to block the spam. It is unfortunate it happened that way, but nobody likes being spammed.

If I recall the situation, it was many people doing it and not one.

The reason it happened in the first place was due to the fact that Spike and the GW staff felt since we wanted money back for advertising that we paid for as a result of the unprofessional nature of that site and staff, they could call us spammers and ban people for writing our name.

So for that, no mention of **********.com was allowed at all.

Then users were getting banned, their private messages read through and sent nasty email responses for the mere mention of PFT.

That in itself is not right. At all.

No one has to mention this site or the owners, that is fine.

BUT

There were people in there that were trying to reference PFT for content or to buy plants, not to spam. And for that, Spike and Company thought banning was a great practice for treating its members.

The ones that pay for the service. The ones that buy from the advetisers. The ones that offer help to those in need of it the most.

This site was a result of the black listing of PFT from Garden Web. It was because of the policy of shut up and deal with it or leave attitude Spike and Co. has that made this what it is.

I have tried to talk with Spike, many others have also. With no luck. You can see the results of the emails between these members and GW.

I think that it is truly unfair to the user and TOTALLY unfair to the people that are in need of the help they now cannot get.

When all the 'spamming' went on recently on GW, it was a result of one of our great members, who we all respect and admire, getting banned for sending a private message to someone referring them to this site to get a plant. For that, he was banned. TOTALLY unnecessary.

As a result, all of these memebers felt it was necessary to show support for their friend. This was not solicited from this site and was the doing of people on their own. Calm was asked of the members of this site, but due to the treatment that just about everyone in here has gotten, I don't blame anyone for doing it.

It was a sign of support for their friend.

This is an issue many people feel strong about and many do not have good words to say about GW.

It is a shame that you cannot mention this site without being banned or called a 'spammer'. We do not spam that site.

It is amazing to see all the posts of other commercial sites on GW, but I see none of them removed. And we were the only ones to actually pay to advertise on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "spamming" thing happend way after people were being banned for mentioning the name of our company.

I think the instance you are referring to was more recent... and yes, it was an attack on gardenweb of sorts, by users who thought the 'moderators' of gardenweb were irrational and childish.

It was a statement, against the ever changing, on a whim ... half baked policy that g.w. has.

The opinion of many people with whom I communicated with pretty much said : " They say their site has been spammed? When? Well... if that's how they're going to be, we'll SHOW them spam"

Not necessarily the right action or attitude... but it was from our users who thought gardenweb was being just downright silly... more to make a point than anything else. And at that point, they had already tagged us as "spammers" (for what reason, I've yet to figure out)...

Anyway, a point was made... for better or for worse ... and if they would just LOOK at the users here... that are hateful towards the treatment they received... perhaps they'd retain more users.

<shrug>

No biggie... we are here... they are there... and each company can run their forums how they see fit.

Though... perhaps I should start banning people that mention gardenweb <snicker>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn it jaie!!! You beat me to it!

I think you just type faster than I do [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ban finger is primed for action. :biggrin:

Pat

(if you're new to the forums: relax, we're joking.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron,

I'd like to put my voice in here because it was my being banned that resulted in that last big onslaught against GW and I figure hearing the story straight from the source might make you understand a bit better.

Here is how I was banned from GW:

I am sure you are aware of the "send this person an email" function on GW. I used that to send someone on GW an email refering them here as a source of information. I don't remember my exact words but it was something along the lines of 'You might want to check the forums at **********.com because I know there are quite a few people there who grow Aldrovandra and they can probably help you.' (That person is a member of PFT as well now and if you would like to ask his confirmation on this I'll give you his user name and you can contact him.)

The next day when I tried to log on I found that I had been terminated. When I emailed Spike as to why he fully and totally thrashed me and told me that I had blatantly violated the GW spam laws and so I got what I deserved.

Now, if you can truly, honestly explain to me how this is spamming I will accept it and I will write a letter of apology to Spike. I can not fathom how it is spamming and even if it is it does not warrent Spike telling me that I am a terrorist on the order of the 9/11 terrorists and that I will get mine in the end.

I posted a thread here about what happened to me so that other members of both these forums would not have what happened to me happen to them. I never anticipated or expected that it would erupt the way it did and I will be the first to agree that the reaction was a bit out of hand. You have to understand though that it came about because Spike has treated a lot of people this way, it just happened to be his actions toward me that broke the dam and released the flood.

Something else I would like to add. I know that you are in some type of communication with Spike, you might want to mention to him that it is illegal for him to monitor (even by proxy) the content of email between people the same way it is illegal to open and read someone elses mail. I have looked into this so I'm not just blowing smoke.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you can understand where we are coming from (I'm not asking you to agree, just to understand.)

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >Gardenworld seems a most unfriendly place. Not only is >mentioning PFT cause for banishment, so is offering free
    >seed

I saw that post. It looked like very much like a spam message. It was very suspicious looking, and I commented on that fact at the time. It was very long and verbose, and phrased like the typical spam message.

If you had just used a few simple sentences, and hadn't made is to long and spam-like, I think it would have been OK.

Ron

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast