Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spamming at gardenweb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: from eklaab on 12:34 pm on April 17, 2002
    >It IS absolutely illegal to scan someones e-mail, unless you are A) the federal government or B) an employer who believes the employee is breaking trust. And even B has it's consequences.

So what you are saying is that it is illegal to have spam filters because spam filters scan email messages? If this is true, then most of the Internet providers such as AOL, hotmail and Earthlink are doing illegal scanning of the email. Is this correct?

Ron[/QUOTE]

Ron,

Whether that is correct or not isn't really the point here. We might be mistaken, you might be mistaken, we both might be mistaken.

The main thing here is that we (I am including all the members of PFT but am not speaking for all of them) feel that Spike is abusing his power selectivly towards PFT and anyone who has any affiliation with them.

Why is it you can post www.********************.com on GW and nothing happens but if you post www.**********.com you are banned with no explaination? Why is it okay for Spike to say that by offering someone a link as a source of information I am as vile a person as the men who slammed 2 planes into the WTC, one into the Pentagon and one into a field and killed 3000+ people?

This is the problem we have with GW/Spike. We are not going to ask you to come around to our way of though. We are not going to ask you to convert. We are not even going to ask you to change your mind. I know that it might not seem that way right now with all that has been posted but you can obviously see that this is a very volitile topic and we all feel very strongly about it.

All we ask is that you try and see where we are coming from, to understand why we feel the way we feel and accept that we feel that way. Acceptance does not mean agreement.

I can not speak for everyone here but I can guarantee you that, even though you and I see things differently about GW, I will treat you as I would treat any other member of PFT. I respect that you have different opinions and views than I do and I am not going to let that get in the way of me talking about CPs (or other plants) with you or anyone else here.

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here Here Pyro! Excellent! I agree!

And EK, you know you and I talked a lot over at gardenweb, you know a lot of us from there probably, were all good people, we know your a good person too.

Respect... I guess that is what all this boils down to huh? Good post Pyro!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ####,

I was gone thismorning, and couldn't chime in ... <sigh>

But...

1) the point has been missed

2) GW is disrespectful. period. No way to treat people.

3) if you don't like it or don't agree with it, bow out of the conversation... you're fighting a losing battle (as far as opinions go). The people here... are all cast aways from that site for one reason or another... and the numbers of memebers that post here speak for the site itself... versus 'the other place'.

4) it has now become a personal mission (not NECESSARILY MINE), to make sure that people... users, readers, and advertisers know how gardenweb treats their members. Their members WILL be solicited... we WILL depleat their CP members... They're just starting to look bad... they do a good job at that... ya think?

We're just here... trying to make a decent place for people to converse, get along, and make friends... there's hardly any restrictions ... at all... what so ever. Additionally, this place is run with respect...

Just in case you haven't noticed, eklaab, we don't ban people who disagree with us... or you'd be gone.

Just like G.W. did to many of their people.

Now, don't take this personally, I'm just making a statement here... and expressing how I feel about people that are downright disrespectful... and ... well.. for lack of better words... just sh*tty. Those people can go play somewhere else... and we'll play here.

I hope you become an active member and share your knowledge with others, as these forums are intended to do... but if you want to argue to the death over policy here versus policy at gardenweb, I'm bored with it. And I think we're all bored with it. It's counterproductive, and does nothing for our readers but make gardenweb look like crap.

Just my two buffalo nickels [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >However as has been stated before, the mention of ********** was banned BEFORE any drive by spamming

I'm not sure how that can be. If that was really the case, then the driveby spamming would have been blocked and not appeared on GardenWeb. Am I missing something here?

Like I mentioned before, I've witnessed the spam attacks on GardenWeb. The spam block was not, or could not have been in place before the attacks. It went into place after the attacks, as far as I can tell.

>Why is it you can post http://www.********************.com on GW and nothing happens but if you post http://www.**********.com you are banned with no explaination?

There weren't any spam attacks involving http://www.********************.com, correct? If there were, then I'm sure a spam block for www.********************.com would have been activated.

Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aargh - GW is still in my favourites. Right click, delete, sorted [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    blah.

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey um if you realy feel like dwelling on this why don't you go thru all of the OLD posts here dated before the spamming and find out what went on before. Otherwise there's a saying "If it's dead leave it alone! Quit poking it with that stick!" Well, that not realy a saying but my parents used to tell me that all of the time and unless youre a mortician it's still a good thing to go by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok I will try and boil it down..

The issue of spam and spam filters is besides the point.

There never was (not sure if this is now) a spam filter at GW. You could, and as far as I still know still can, post whatever you wanted (at your own risk).

Spike has been banning people from his site for the past couple years that I know of, for idiotic reasons including the single mention of PFT. I have seen email he has sent to various people he has banned, when they inquired why. ALL of it has been incrediably rude and obnoxious.
    The spam attack was in response to banning a single member mentioning PFT in a private message at GW, knowing that a single mention on their message board would get him banned.
    The realization that spike, his staff whatever, is reading not only the posted messages but all the private messages is the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.
    His ensuing tirad about how these people are nazi terrorists and akin to the terrorists that killed all those innocent people last fall is beyond absurd.

Tony

9. Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast