What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving to the greater, whiter north

It's official, I'm moving to the frigid climes of Northern BC. All my plants and fish are making the move. If they die I'll be heartbroken.

It might not be too cozy with a 6 foot tall cactus in the car beside me, but I'll survive.

Don't contemplate... one day at a time baby, one day at a time. Deal with issues as they arise but (here's the negative side of me) be prepared for the worst. In the scheme of things I'm sure everything will be ok.
smile.gif

Send us some pics of Northern BC in the winter... LOL

From the frigid Palm Bay, Florida

Dyflam

What's BC?

British Columbia, Nice to see another Canadian on here.

Good luck with the move

Oooh, Dodec.

Ouch (j/k)...

My personal opinion, but why move north when theres so much down south? Hehehehehe...

Good luck with your plants...
confused.gif

It wont be too bad moving up north. I learned to adjust, and so did my plants ( I live in Alaska)
smile.gif

I was actually living up there for about a year and half, until a year ago. But the girlfriend got a fancy government job up there, so off we go.

It really is f-ing cold up there in the winter. On the positive side, northern BC is pretty much one giant bog. I've been up in a helicopter a few times and the bright red sphagnum just goes on forever. However, it becomes somewhat less picturesque when you're sloggin through it.

Hey Tim I'd happily give away a valuable part of my anatomy (well, not so valuable now I have three kids) for some snow and winter.

If you ever want to do one of those holidays where you swap houses with someone, keep me in mind.

Happy Birthday too.

Cheers, Troy.

*laughter* I'd glady trade with anyone. The coldest I've seen here is -50F and snow is not a problem...
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Good luck with the move. If you lose anything that I am growing, consider it replaced in advance!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (fatboy @ Nov. 13 2002,04:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you ever want to do one of those holidays where you swap houses with someone, keep me in mind.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That's some kind of joke, isn't it? Someday you may regret having said it.

Although I really have to recommend Liard Hot Springs to anyone driving the Alaska Highway in midwinter. It is literally in the middle of nowhere, 4 hours from the nearest town, with a single hotel across the road. It is barely developed, with just a boardwalk down to the spring. We were there in december and it was about -20 and snowing and the frosty trees were drooping over the pool.

There is a sign at the entrance that says that there is a variety of CPs which grow there in the summer. The ecology is unique because of the heat from the springs.

I never did see -50F, but we had temps in the -30C range for weeks at a time. The snow evaporates before it melts. Having spent most of my time on the wet coast, I have to say that it's much easier to stay warm at -30 than it is to stay dry in the rain.

Back