What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slowed growth

Has anyone else noticed a slowing in growth on their cps? I ahve really seen evidence in my outdoor cps, sarrs especially. Is it that time of year already? I just got all my guys going strong and really am now just enjoying them. I have read (for the most part) the dormancy posts, but not all of them because I don't have all day to do it. I have also consulted the Savage Garden about dormancy, but it didn't really specify water tables for them. I am in n. va and it is certainly cooled off here, and the sunlight is down by about 2 hours daily. I am really looking for a water table for my cps. I have s. rubra, leucophlly, purpea, d. binata, dew threads (can't remember that ones real name) and vfts. Any help on this will be appreciated. I will either put them all in a cooler room in the house or in the garage, but am worried about the freezing. Anyone have a special box or something that they mulch the plants in? thanks....

Yes its definately that time. My VFTs are all producing winter leaves now. I figure they will all be happily sleeping by mid October. My Sarrs are still pitchering, but I suspect that wont last much longer. As for water, you will see that they dont go through near as much as they do in the hot summer months. For my VFTs (which are the only plants I had last winter) I basically filled the water trays to the normal 1/2 inch line, then let it sit till the water was gone for 2-3 days or so. I dont know about a garage for storing them though, unless you have a bright window to put them in. I dont think it will get cold enough to put them into a deep enough dormancy to stop photosynthesis. You may want to consider some suplemental lighting.

Good luck
Steve

Yep mine have definitely slowed down too. I have sarrs, vfts and some temperate sundews. The sarrs and vfts have slowed down the most and sundews seem to be growing the most right now. Here in Ohio we've had a few nights in the upper 40's already. But now our lows are back to normal in the 50s and lower 60s. I just heard on the news that in the US in sept. we lose 64 minutes of daylight and in oct. we lose 74 minutes!! That about 2 min. a day now!! Fall is fast approaching.

-buckeye

Nights here are definitely cooling down. The days have been nice...80s-70s...not much humidity. Will still be awhile before there is a snap in the air (I hope). I hate to see the warm days come to an end. I am miserable in the winter (except when it snows).

I'm hoping since we have had floods of rain this year (quite the change over 2 yrs of severe drought), that we will get lots of snow.
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I am miserable in the winter (except when it snows).

I'm hoping since we have had floods of rain this year (quite the change over 2 yrs of severe drought), that we will get lots of snow.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I really like snow too and i hope we get a lot!!! But i also like winter (I guess i'm weird). I definitely would rather live in the north than somewhere that's warm all year. I like all of the seasons and i don't really have a favorite. I like winter because you get to have fires in the fireplace and because of Christmas and Thanksgiving. I like spring because it gets warm and everything seems renewed. I like summer because of the long days and warm nights. I also like fall because of the beautiful crisp days and colorful trees. Also the best sport is played in the fall, football!!!

-buckeye

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mcrwt644 @ Sep. 10 2003,05:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Has anyone else noticed a slowing in growth on their cps?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No mine don't appear to have slowed down at all.  Nope...frozen in time better describes them.  They have hardly changed in the last week and a half.
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

The mountains to the west of me got a skiff of snow on them from about 10,000 feet on up today.  The nights have been getting down into the mid to low 40's with at least one night down into the high 30's last week.  I've started bringing my D. scorpioides in at night.  They didn't get put out at all today just in case the weatherman lied and it snowed below 8,000 feet.  It hasn't...yet.  It's been dark and overcast all day with the temp between 46°F and 54°F and a light wind.  Glad I got to work inside today
smile.gif

edit: Oh, and it drizzled rain off and on all day
sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(I guess i'm weird)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

No comment.
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No comment. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hey what's that suppose to mean?
smile.gif
 I'm just kidding, it made me laugh.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

-buckeye

I LOVE SNOW!!! To bad it just gets very windy and very cold here. I am originally from the Boston area and I miss the deep white stuff.

My plants have deffinately slowed. Several of the Sarrs are already going into dormancy. Today is very wet cold. Fall is getting here.

Well, I don't really have any Sarrs that are mature ( I wish I did  
sad.gif

confused.gif
), but I can relate with my lowland Neps.  They are most definitely slowing down in leaf and pitcher production.  The VFT's are staying the same though.

SF

That is not nice to call your plants slow...What an insult
wink.gif
tounge.gif

This is the time of year were plants like to click there heels at me...If you want advice on dormancy do a cutting before Old Man Winter hits, there for you have a plant after winter (just in case). Since, I go by the quote of the little girl on the river as I was floating down "I will never be done!" refering to her toy. The other kid said "when will you be done?" to bring that response up.
tounge.gif
What kids says..lol

Travis

Back