Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The birds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone!
    I hung up a few CDs..we shall see if that works..
    im also going to look for a rubber snake and put it right along the bottom of the pots!!

I saw the culprit! its a Robin.
    I caught him in the act!
    it looks like he is actually taking some of the moss! not just rooting around in it for food..isnt it too late for nest building?
    well, it doesent really matter why he is messing with my pots, I just want to stop him!
    the Cds in combination with a fake snake ought to do it!
    I will let know how it goes..
    thanks,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    help the robin out,get a big pot, stick dried moss, tinsel, and grasses and he'll use it for nests

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, the birds are after the moss for their nests and if it is a robin he or she knows that moisture means WORMS as well! If you try the rubber snake or the CDs remember to move them often, once a week at least. Birds catch on and figure things out. That is why the owls don't work. If they don't move then then figure out they are not real. Try fastening the pots to the railing or the table they are on and covering the top of the pots with a bird netting cut into small pieces to anchor the moss down but not look ulgy. The robin will finish her nest soon and hopefully leave your Judith alone. I am sorry,it is very frustrating to spend so much time and energy
    on your plants to have them destroyed.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scotty-

Last spring I had a large blue-jay doing the same thing. I would walk outside, and see my CP window box destroyed -with the little seedlings laying around.

This year, just like you, it has been a Robin - going after the long fibered sphagnum and unrooting the seedlings. Luckily I didn't lose too many.

We have been keeping our dog in the yard more. She loves to go after birds (part Pointer helps). She used to be worse than the Robins - she would grab a potted plant and run all around the yard with it and throw the plant up in the air, then finally destroy the pot.

I fenced off the outdoor CP area - but it's great sinc she can still terrorize the pesky birds.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12