What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mushrooms and guess the ping

First, This plant has come up, but I am not sure what it is. It appears to be a Ping, but it is not like the others I have seen. The leaves are ruffled, possibly multi-lobed, and semi-transparent. The glands and small hairs/tentacles are visible under a magnifier. It grows in a mound and is dark green. The plant grows by new leaves coming up and unfurling from the center as does a ping, but it divides easily like a Utric. It does not appear to have a bladder mass. Any ides?

Second, I also have a large number of conical mushrrom coming up from the milled sphagnum. Should the be destroyed?

Copper, can you describe the shroom (sorry, by all means I am not a ping expert)

I had a problem a while back with a conical yellow mushroom, kinda looked like lemon sorbet in a twisted way I guess.

I tried several things to get rid of them (though they didn't seem to be a problem) I sprayed it down with cleary's, which would clear the area for a while, I even burned it with a torch lighter to kill the 'roots' (my mind is playing games and the proper term suddenly eludes me). What I eventually discovered, is that this fruiting body (mushrooms are always fruiting bodies) was just part of a fungal organism that had spread throughout my entire tank, the only way I truly got rid of it (not sure it's forever since my I kept the rootballs intact around my plants) was to rip the tank apart and put new soil in.

Now, I should point out, I did this for other reasons, the soil was 2 years old, and my plants performance was tanking. The soil change re-invigorated them, and that was the goal, not the destruction of the fungus.

Thats really funny Ram...just this morning I saw a big yellow conical mushroom in one of my passiflora pots in the basement! (I've NEVER seen a mushroom in my flower pots). I was going to take a pic of it and post it to see if any fungal fans know what it is.

Copper...can you post a pic??

Suzanne

The mushrooms are very small at this point. They are odd in that the stems are darker in color then the heads. The stems are brown while the heads are tan. They are very conical with the heads being a little taller than the stems. They have come up only in the milled shagnum. They did not come up until the sprouts from seed were allowed fresh air and light. Then they came up in astounding numbers.

not sure what you have going on there copper. Sorry... all I can say is the only problem fungus i had was like a spiderweb growth that came across my tank like a wildfire and decimated it. Cleary's knocked it back, and a generous bit of elbow grease cleaning what I could helped keep it in check until it just dissapeared on me.

(I think it came from a cricket I put in a nepenthes pitcher.)

Sounds like I am better off getting rid of the mushrooms than leaving them.

On the possible ping. A larger on has come up. On this one you can see that a beard has grown under the leaves, toward the center of the plant. It's a very interesting plant to say the least.

Back