User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy, hibernation, sleeping etc...

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a window or any other place that you can put your VFTs that stays roughly between 55F and 35F, they should be fine. The warmer the spot is the more important the availability of light becomes. Below about 43F, photosynthesis begins to slow down. When you get down to the temps most people keep their refridgerator at (approx. 35F to 40F, I believe), photosynthesis has slowed way down if not stopped. That is why plants in the refrigerator don't require light. So no, they don't have to be taken out everyday for some light. They should be checked at least on a weekly basis for mold and to make sure they don't need more water or excess water poured out (condensation mostly).

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]

edit @ 2:25, 10-5-03
    If you want to take your plants outside on warmer days, say when the temps are in the 40F to 50F range, so that they can get some light, I can't think of any reason you shouldn't. Just keep in mind that they have been in a dark refrigerator for a while and won't be used to bright direct sunlight.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the clarifacation.....

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay here are the plants that I'm growing, that will need dormancy:

S. Flava
    S. Pupurea ssp venosa
    S. leucophyllia 'tarnok'
    S. rubra
    S. 'Judith Hindle'
    S. wriglyanna
    S. catsbei

VFT
    Red Dragon
    Green Dragon
    Dente
    Common.

My typical winter temps usuall range from the single digits to the high 30's in Farenheit. The temps usually warm up a few degrees in the day. If I were to burry them pot and all in the ground, would that be sufficiant? Also, we haven't gone a winter in history without snow(I think). It usuall falls, melts off, then waits a few days to a few weeks before doing it again. I is usually one inch to one foot deep with the occasional two footer.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude,

Your plants can probably go outside for the winter and be okay. YOu might want to check with other local growers to be sure on that though.

Wes,

Odds are your plants will be okay outside. You might want to find a sheltered plance to put them on the nights where it gets really cold (below 15) or a heavy snow is expected. Garden sheds work great as do garages for just a couple days.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I am putting my plants to sleep, I am wondering in if would be a good winter to change the soil? The common vft has been in the same soil since I have had it (2 years) should I change it or could a stan another year in the same soil? The other is from pft and that is a dente which I bought this year. Will the dente have to have its soil changed or can I wait?

Thanks
    Travis
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travis,

Are you doing fridge dormancy? If so then you can just repot using new media next spring. If not then I would still recommend waiting till next spring or you can just mix up some peat tea to water it with next year.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pyro. I am using the refrig meathod and will wait till Spring time to transplant.

Travis
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about fungicide application. In past years I have taken the whole root ball out of the pot and dunked it in fungicide before dormancy.

I wanted to see what you guys thought about this idea, I have never heard anybody talk about it.

Okay, first you dry your plants out a little bit, and then mix the fungicide as you normally would, and then just use the fungicide as if it were just water, watering your plants (tray watering method). I am not sure if the plant will soak up all or enough of the fungicide. I just thought this would be a lot easier than pulling out a whole bunch of root balls and soaking them.

Let me know if you think this would work, thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    I miss my old signature

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast