What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Nov. 08 2003,10:53)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As to dormancy I remain unconvinced that cold temperatures are essential for dormancy, but rather a short day photoperiod is what makes for a successful dormancy.

Really? So you are saying that dormancy does not require cold temps for vfts? Am I reading that right?  That would change my ways of dormancy...  Not saying I would ever question you (as you are one of the ultimate cp kings in my book!) Tamlin.  

Travis
------
Edit: I did a cut and past from the vft forum under "vfts underwater: for how long"
Again, I have dormancy issues...I must sound like a sqealler.

I have a name, in general I agree with what BCK said, however as to refrigerator dormancy I think that will be a little extreme for you. Here is a comparison of your temperature ranges compared to the natural range where VFTs grow wild: Wild (Wilmington NC) ...... Bev Hills
The temp range is a little different but certainly not out of scope for what a VFT can handle. my advice is put the plant outside somewhere where it will get lots of morning and early afternoon sun and leave it be.  It will acclimate itself to your conditions very quickly and then it will do the dormancy stuff all on its own. The main reason most people need to use a fridge for dormancy is they either live in the tropics, or an area that recieves lots of snowfall. Beverly Hills is neither of those so the fridge method is a lot of hassle for nothing. Leave your plant outside 24/7 water with distilled or reverse osmosis water ONLY and you will have a VERY happy and well fed VFT for many years to come.

Good Luck
Steve

Bump because it sems to be that time of year

Lowes had this bottle of Garden Safe Fungicide3, will this work on CPs? it says for organic gardening...

active ingredients:
clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil...0.9%
OTHER INGREDIENTS...........................99.1%
TOTAL..............................................100%

i have looked high and low but cannot find out what "other ingredients" actually contains so now i ask for your help.

thanks,
~b

Back