Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Plant for a Beginner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ventricosa could do well in your room as long as you dont TRY to dehumidify it... It would help to aid in humidity, but you don't have to go overboard, u know

You would have to acclimate the plant first... Say you got it in the mail... You would pot it up, first, then stick the whole deal in a plastic baggy that didnt touch the plant at all... Put a bit of water in the bag too. Tie the top bag up, and give it a little air circulation once a day or so buy opening the bag up, and blowing or sumthing... Keep the knotted bag is permanent home for about a week or two, then open it, but have the bag stiff up like a tall plastic column... Have it like that for about two weeks... After that, lower it down to be only big enought that evaporated water from the bottom still hits the plant, but air still hits the leaves readily... After two moreweeks, TAKE THE DARNED BAG OFF... That is the absolute safest way, but you could probably go down to one week if you want to really rush it... Have it in bright shade... A west or east facing window is best... Only let it have two hours or so max of absolutly direct sunlight, because it can overheat in the bag... Bright light shining in the window all day is nice...

Only use distilled or reverse osmosis water... I suggest the Nepenthes ventricosa!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few plants!?! Oh, we all start off with just a few... just you wait...we'll get you collecting in no time!

I agree with the guys, a capensis and a ventricosa are great to start with. Then you can move on to venus fly traps, then pings, then before you know it, you'll be trying to figure out how to get everything in your terrarium!
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Westie

Welcome to the forums! You'll find yourself addicted in NO time!

My vote is for drosera (sundew). A d. capensis or d. spatulata...both pretty easy to grow and good terrarium plants. Flytraps don't need to be in a terrarium...you can grow them on a sunny windowsill. A nepenthes ventricosa is good too...mine has grown like a weed.

Exotic Gardens, that runs this forum, is a great source of healthy plants.

Come back and visit often and you'll learn lots about growing carnivorous plants and you will make some good friends too!

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

If you are wanting to do a terrarium...

I would recommend:

sundews like plantakiss said....

Nepenthes ventricosa
    Nepenthes raffleisana
    Nepenthes gracilis
    Nepenthes mirabilis

Those are really 4 easy to care for Nepenthes ( tropical pitcher plants ).

Sundews are a great thing to add as well.

they both require high humidity and good light. Perfect for a terrarium ( In my opinion )

Sarracenia ( North AMerican Pitcher Plants ) and Venus flytraps will do fine outside a terrarium on a window ( like plantakiss said ).

For a terrarium, you can get a 5-10 gallon fish tank.

westie
    Would a venus fly trap be okay for a beginner if I didn't keep it in a terrarium? They seem to be much more common than many of the other plants, so they are readily avaliable. Therefore, is it really that much harder to care for a vft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly feel that VFTs are actually more difficult than some of the other plants. They are just mass produced because everybody knows what they are

If you want to grow in a windowsill you might still be able to get away with a N. ventricosa (I grow mine in a window during winter and on the patio in summer,) or a D. capensis. These are both tough plants and can be easily acclimated to out of terrarium cultivation.

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

just because something is more common doesnt mean its easier vft really are bad after shipping them, repotting them, and are really picky about dirty water, you really should go for one of the other ones

Shoopdawoop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raw, accually, it does mean its easier... You dont see many N. Rajah because there extreamly tough to grow. Do you see alot of dewy pines? There extreamley hard to cultivate as seedlings and propigation is only possiably via roots and seed. Cuttings all fail. Vft's are a very easy plant to deal with. And the reason their are so redialy avaiable is becasue there easy to grow and multiply quickly in t.c. They only need 50 precent humidity.Probably the easiest carnivorous plant to grow is Utricularia Gibba, you could probably grow it in the water in the back of your toilet! Good Luck finding what you want!
    Oh boy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast