Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Question for Tank Users

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pings have been pigs with those little tiny soil gnats lately...
    Glad to hear the tank is coming along nicely!
    Are those philodendrons also called lacy tree philodendrons or _Philodendron selloum_? I've got a book with some nice pics of one...if only I had more room!
    Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 1:45 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have my original flytraps in there 3 ince pot with there waterming trays,what im wanting to know if its possible to put them in a 10 gallon tank with a top light.would they do better in that kind of enclosure because it gets really hot here where i am and i have burned a few plants [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] also what kind of light would i need for the 10 gallon aquarium? any help here would be appreciated [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

jacktrap~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey jacktrap, If your going to put your flytraps in a terrarium, there are several important considerations.

1) you can't have stagnant air, flytraps like a nice gentle air movement around them, this can be solved by getting a little computer fan, or a tiny fan from radio shack and putting it inside the terrarium... (Or you can stick you hand in there every hour or so and move it around! lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

2) Your going to want to use flourescent lights, and as MUCH as you can get on the tank, I think it is impossible to get to much flourescent light, a 10 gallon tank should be able to take one double fixture, and a single fixture of appropriate size (Mine are 24 inches I think, on my germination tank, and I have 3) You can also use Compact Flourescents, though I have no experience with this, and it is my understanding that the base of this bulb get's hot...

That's pretty much it... on all 10 gallon tanks and smaller, if they are sealed, keep them out of direct light, other wise it will just get hotter and hotter in there...

that's all I can think of about now... anyone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RP's got it.
    Be aware that if you're in the northern hemisphere, it is winter and your flytrap should now be in a cool, dark dormancy. Unless your environment has very low humidity, you should not keep the tank completely sealed. Flytraps don't appreciate ultra-high humidity!
    Definitely consider adding reflective material such as aluminum foil, mylar aquarium backing(best), anything aluminized, or even white things like white cardboard. Most art stores sell highly reflective "contact paper" that is adhesive and relatively easy to stick to the tank glass. Also consider adding adding reflective material to the tank sides. You could even make a removable reflector that attaches to the front of the tank. A good method is taking something rigid like cardboard(cardboard is really priceless to me--it has so many uses!)and, say, sticking silver contact paper onto one side of it. You can then tape this rigid reflector(black electricians tape is best)onto the front and easily remove it whenever you just want to gaze happily at your plants. I can't sufficiently stress the unimaginable effectiveness of reflective material at keeping light in the tank--where it belongs. Lighting will be less of a problem if you know you've at least got sufficient reflective material. Good Luck! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    also, anyone else??
    Chris Roy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your flytraps are brand spaking new from the store, then don't worry about dormancy until next year, they are probably fresh from tissue culture, and will be fine throughout the summer... but that is only for this year!

If your plant has ever been up and growing for more than say, a 10 month period, your doing something wrong... you need to put it to sleep. But it is OK, the FIRST year, to skip the dormany period, as it probably does not need it, not only that, you can get it in step with all your other plants in one easy step the next fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi J.T., for VFTs you might consider getting rid of the tank all together, Just suspend your lights 6" to 8" above the plants and put an aluminum foil skirt around the lights to act as a reflector. The foil allows very good air circulation while your water tray provides humidity, and this setup allows easy access to your plants, just flip up the front peice of foil and there they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'd be simple and perfect, unless you live in a clime with incredibly low humidity, in which you would require an enclosure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234