What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sand question

So my pet store was out of Silica sand and all the sand from the local nursery seems to have lime in them (did the vinegar test). I found some sand called Repti- Sand (by zoo med) in the reptile section of the pet store. The package states: "Pure, very fine quartz desert sand". It also states "Natural colours no added dyes or chemicals".

Is quartz sand the same and silica ( sure looks the same) and is it safe to add to my cp soil mix?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Andre

It's safe quartz = silica.  If in doubt, do the vinegar test on it.
wink.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

Sand blasting sand works also!

Yeah I went to home depot and asked for sand blasting sand a few months ago. They said they dont carry any. They had play ground sand but only in 50lbs bags.

I ended up buying the reptile sand , did the lime test and it passed. It was kind of expensive but I got sick of running around looking or sand.

I get my sand from a pool company. I actually have a pool and have to change the sand in the spring.

Should finish that thought.

I think I may try placing the sand in a drainage bin lined with mesh, let it sit in the rain for a year, and then test it. It probably will retain to much chemical to be useful, but it won't cost anything to check.

How do you test sand?

Back