Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Recent forum practices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK OK OK ...

You're not getting knocked around. I think what is happening here, is the very use of the word censorship without a clear picture of what is going on.

I don't care if people side with Matt or not. It doesn't bother me in the least that someone has an opinion contrary to mine.

It does bother me, however, when comments are made without any real data.

So yes, I bristle... when I see that happen. But I don't care if someone doesn't agree with me or the moderators. IF you take a close look, *I* am the only one beating you up, and it's for a good reason [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ... don't you think?

I expect no matter the situation, there is good and bad.. and people will form an opinion base on what they believe the facts are. But dont' think I'm going to sit here and not defend the actions of my friends, the efforts of our members, and the false accusations by people claiming we censor our forums.

So yes, if you say censorship in my presence, you will be beaten up [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] --- If you call me old.. you will be beaten up. <snicker> ... those are my only two weak spots.

-Phil [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Phillip J. Crane
    Austin, TX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Phil, YOU are knocking me around pretty good, however, my PRIVATE message to you should explain some things to you if you have not read it yet. I do take offense to your comment about what I do teach my kids, and I believe it was very unprofesional of you to do so.

Jeremy Roy

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im keeping this brief.
    He tried to explain himself in order to resolve the situation just as anyone wrongly accused would have done but his replies were deleted by the mods, not because they contained profanity, but because a mod decided the thread was closed.[/QUOTE]

You know what youre failing to realize here is that he sent us mods PMs with the same responses that he posted, there was no reason to keep them up. I felt like he was just doing it to get a reaction out of us.

we did not gang up on him we were just trying to keep a peaceful forum. If you realy want to make a judgement do a search with Sundewmatts name and try and count how many times he disturbed these boards and disrespected the Moderators here. If you ask me he should have been banned along time ago.
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeremy,

I did just reply, but as I said in your message, I'll say here.

Free speech goes both ways. So if we all want free speech, we have to take the good with the bad, even if it is directed at us personally (not hostile).

Free speech sure does seem to suit everyone when it's convenient for them, but watch out when the tables are turned and something is said that may not be so flattering.

I never said you were a bad teacher, nor did I personally attack you. I was making a point about one sided decision making.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]
    Phillip J. Crane
    Austin, TX

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be clear to anyone who was paying attention that Matt's comments were misconstrued by some moderators and forum members.........It was all there for people who were online at the time to see, but most people were busy feeding off the moderator's inappropriate wrath (based on their own misinterpretation of Matt's cryptic humor) rather than making an attempt to understand what he really meant and realize their mistake.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. Matt gave no indication that what he said meant other than what was printed. If he ment other than what he said he should have indicated it. I saw no 'jk' or 'j/k' or 'just kidding' stated anywhere. One of the things he later stated he was kidding about was in poor taste to say the least and showed a big lapse in judgement on his part.

I feel that it is unacceptable for any people anywhere to gang up on someone because of a simple misunderstanding or personal differences and to then prevent them from addressing false accusations.[/QUOTE]

A simple understanding wouldn't be getting this blasted much attention from me. Simple understandings I forgive and forget. One's that someone try's to cover their butt on and put all the blaim on somebody else make my blood boil and I do not forgive until I think they are truely sorry for what they have done and take responsibility for their actions.

It is an unfair place where such an injustice is allowed to happen. Any one of you would have done exactly as Matt tried to do.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. In a whole year of posting, I have not managed to alianate so many people and cause so much distress to the moderators, administrators, and fellow board members as matt did in that posting.

The fact that you are still kicking someone who is down and can't properly defend himself is a disgrace. The parties involved should be ashamed for bullying someone like that when you won't even let his explanation stay up so that others can make a less partial assessment of what occurred.
    [/QUOTE]
    I read his explanation. It was everybody elses fault that he was misunderstood. uh huh. yeah.

locationis, It's probably a good thing the post was deleted or Matt would be getting an earful from a lot more people.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

For what it's worth.. PFT's mods aren't the only ones who have had to do something about Matt's behavior.. his posts about this topic in other forums have been locked as well..

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *sigh*

There are some people who are making judgements about a situation when they *do not know all the facts*. If you missed the thread...you missed it. Sorry! So those who missed it (and you should be glad you did), you can't make a fair judgement about it. I don't think thats a big deal. It was a thread that got off topic, got heated, got warned to get back on topic...it didn't. It was deleted, not for "censorship" (that's SO silly! ), but to keep the boards on track.

Like Phil said, other people are NOW hearing *one side* of the story AFTER the issue was close here. If that happened in a court room, you'd be outraged.

Its very simple....there was no personal vendetta involved as its being portrayed. It was off topic and argumentative. It was directed to go back on topic. It wasn't. So it was deleted.

QUOTE: "The fact that you are still kicking someone who is down and can't properly defend himself is a disgrace."

Hmmm...can't property defend himself.... Poor Mr. X. I guess that same "disgrace" doesn't apply to Mr. X when he goes to at least two other discussion boards and publicly spews his one-sided venom to an audience totally unrelated to the issue. That was so immature and rude to those other communities...why involve them in a beef they have nothing to do with? Why?? Because it gave him an audience who didn't have a clue what was going on... and no way for the "other side" to be presented for a fair judgement (you know..."kick 'em when they're down"). He's got free rein to bad mouth to a new audience (who, BTW, also hasn't had the benefit of reading the entire thread to understand the issue). Yep...its such a shame Mr. X can't defend himself HERE...like PFT can't defend itself THERE.

I would like to add that the forum that Mr. X just joined...that by his own admission, VERY rarely edits posts or closes topics...did JUST THAT to Mr. X's diatribe against PFT. One post was edited and then the topic was closed. WHY? Because it was ugly and argumentative! Gee...doesn't that sound familiar??! Admins doing their job...keeping the posts decent. Here, it's being called "censorship" by Mr. X. I wonder what he called it over there...good administration I guess. Join a forum and within 1-2 days you have your topic edited and shut down. Good start with that group.

Mr. X is a talented grower who's input could be valuable if he would learn not to sling thinly veiled insults at forum members and cause controversy. If he could learn to keep it about the PLANTS, he could be a great help. It really is a shame.

This is a dead horse. Why can't we agree to disagree and let this horse be buried.

The admins and mods spends HOURS and HOURS of their time freely given... no pay, no perks....just hard core dedication...in order to keep this forum open to help new growers and offer suggestions, so we can all share experiences, make friends, laugh and post pics and support one another in good and hard times...thousands and thousands of topics and posts and advice...for THIS.... Who hasn't ever gotten help? Or received a plant they reeeally wanted by a generous donor? Or learned a new technique? Or made a good friend? Or gotten free seeds or gemmae? Mods are human...mods make mistakes...but over all, we work #### hard to have this venue and get few thanks for it. (We do get some...thanks Michelle&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Shame on you who let one person, one thread, tarnish all the GOOD that's being done here (ESPECIALLY, I might add, for the newbies who need the help but get all but ignored on some other boards)!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] Its all about love of the plants and one another as people with a common interest and goals.

Suzanne

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Dear all,

I am a moderator too and I read the posts in the moderators' forum. True, there are times when they complain about a certain person but it ALWAYS end with "this is just my personal opinion, just letting off steam..."

I'm thankful for the other mods because they, mostly americans, are more vocal than me. People who know where I'm from know that my freedom of speech is limited...very limited as compared to what you have, even on this forum. The mods speak their minds, hiding nothing. Such transparency! And they are very just(fair) people too. Everytime there's a "problem case", there would a LONG debate before that person is banned....with at least a handful mods having contacted the fellow and heard his side of the story.

So let me, an outsider...being non-american and so very far away, make my 2 cents worth...

1st cent: Mods are not paid by PFT.com so there's no need to take sides. Being here is basically, altruistic. And the mods read line by line, word for word to keep this place suitable even for young children.

2nd cent: I'm a teacher too and I often tell my students: With freedom, comes responsibility. With freedom to own guns, come many gun-deaths in American schools because the adults are not responsible in keeping their guns under lock and key (sorry for having to pick the States as an example). Having the freedom of speech here needs great responsibility and of course, that takes maturity. If the maturity of the person is less than that of the young children here, then...

By the way, the mods haven't banned any children yet right?
    Cindy

9. Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast