What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone

Hello to all of you CP lovers,

I'm WildFire, 18 years, from the Netherlands, and trying to grow my plants well..... Its working out prety nice, but Í have some questions sometime's.... I'm trying to buy "the savage garden" but its kinda hard to find.....

Anyway, I'm kind of new to gardening and stuff, so can anyone please tell me how a burnt plant looks like??? doest it look all red and stuff??? In that case my vft could be burned..... me wouldn't like that...

In any case, Thanx for the replies everybody!
biggrin.gif

Greetings & happy growing!

WildFire

Generally burnt is black, and red in the center of a VFT trap indicates good light and health. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS and GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Hi wildfire.  Welcome to the forums.  If your Vft's inner part of the traps is red then that means it has gotten plenty of sun and is very healthy.  If the petiole (the part that grows out of the ground and the trap is connected to) is reddish then that means it's a green dragon Vft.  A burnt plant's traps dry up and turn brown or black.  Hope this helps!!  
smile.gif

-buckeye

Edit: Oops, i guess lithopsman beat me!!
smile.gif

Hey everybody,

Thanx for the FAST replies, Didn't expect them!
Anyway, we've got a digital camera, so i'll make some pictures. One picture says more than a lot of words.  
tounge.gif

But for now, I guess my vft could be a green dragon allright....

See ya tomorow,

WildFire

Edit: Oops, bad language.....

Hi Wildfire..  welcome to the forums
smile.gif

Here are a couple very good resources for Venus Flytrap care and handling.
FAQ pages
PFT care sheet

There are also a couple of the forum members VFT care sheets posted here in the forum. There is one by Goldtrap that should be right at the top of the list, and one by Darcie that is on the first page of Venus Flytraps.

Good luck with your plants
Steve

Edit: Amazon.com ships internationally. You should be able to order a copy of Savage Garden from there.
Steve

Hi WildFire

Greetings and welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

A picture would be great...much easier to identify a problem if we can see the actual plant.

There is a forum specifically for VFT care but since this is also an introductory post, I'll leave it here so members can say hello. It is a great community here and we welcome new members.

Hope you stick around and learn some growing tips for your plants. Do you have other CPs besides a flytrap?

Suzanne

Hi, I had to order my copy of The Savage Garden from my local bookstore,it`s not something bookstores would normally have on their shelves.

Hey everybody

Thanx for the warm welcome everyone!
Lets start with the foto's: I've put uploaded them to here:

online foto's

Note: Yes, I know, my vft has flowers, I was too late to cut them off, AND I REALY DON'T LIKE IT! And yes I know, my Drosera look bad, I used wrong soil for 10 days......(went on a vacation for 10 days....) Guess my S. leucophylia looks fine, alltrough it had way to mutch hot sun.....

Anyway, about the book, I'll order it today from a dutch website, shouldn't take too long to arive  
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

BTW: does anybody else seem to have WAY to many plants of one kind??? like you run out of space or something???

Greetz & happy growing,

WildFire

All are welcome, All are welcome. Go toward the light.

I was able to purchase The Savage Garden off of Amazon.com for a very good price.

BTW: does anybody else seem to have WAY to many plants of one kind??? like you run out of space or something???]

That's why I have two 50 gallon terrariums for my plants.
smile.gif

I think your VFT's look great! The redness that I saw looked like the deep coloration of a VFT that gets lots of light, not a burned one. A burned one should show damage to the leaves, especially curling around the edges, discoloration, etc. Not a beautiful red tone.
wink.gif
. Your plants look very nice, and I wish you the best of luck - I thought of my original collection when I saw them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's why I have two 50 gallon terrariums for my plants. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I would dream of someting like that..... I'll probably get a small terrarium on my room this winter... I would like a realy big one, but the floor is WAY to weak over here... I would find myself sleeping in the livingroom if I get myself a big terrarium because the floor didn't hold it

Anyway, I gave two plants to a friend of mine in return for four bottles of good water. thats solves a bit of the problem.
biggrin.gif

BTW, trashcan, thanx for the kind words! my vft has exploded since I bought him! so have my other plants! I wish i could show you how small they where...... another question btw; should I repot my vft next year? the pot looks realy small...

and this is probaly a typical newbe question; should I pour some water in my S. leucophylia? or does it produce enough liquid by it self?

thanx for replies, answers & happy growing,

WildFire

Right now I have a 30 gal, 20 gal, 15 gal, 10 gal, and a standing 2 X 3 X 3 greenhouse full beyond capacity. I am trying to designs a self system for the shorter plants in an aquarium. I NEED MORE ROOM..and plants of course.

I have a tall 33 gal. aquariuim that I might have to kick the fish out of. Homeless fish..its sad.

Although it seems I can grow lots of my cp's outside (with lot's of tasty bugs!&#33
wink.gif
), I'm feeling SO jealous right now....
tounge.gif

Anyway, does somebody else have seen the outside of a vft trap become more red than the inside? I think it looks kind of funny...
biggrin.gif

Greetings & happy growing!

WildFire

Back