User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Preventing root rot!

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey i have read some topics about root rot and im quite worried bout my plant having it...how do i prevent it?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roots rot from the action of bacteria. Anaerobic (without oxygen) decomposition tends to take place in overly wet, dense mediums where the plants sit too long in stagnant water. Clean mediums, pure water, and good drainage are all good housekeeping measures. Drainage may be improved by placing a 1/2 to 1 inch layer of porous medium at the bottom of the pot. Of late I have been using red cedar mulch since it has some aniseptic properties with good effect. Oxygenation around the roots is the aim.
    Flushing the pots is also good as it removes nitrients that support this bacteria to begin with, as well as providing oxygen to the roots. Occasionally allowing the water tray to dry for a day will also help.
    "Grow More, Share More"