Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How are cultivars made

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in theory, I could pollinate all my VFTs in various ways and out of 100 seedlings one could be unusual?
    I don't think I'll try it though [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    So are Atlanta Botanical Gardens still working on unusual VFTs? If I recall the Red Dragon was designed in 1996.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, yeah, I guess you could say that... I wouldnt get your hopes up... probably more on the order of 1 in a million or so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, See, now ive learned something! I did read on a website somewhere that the green dragon was a sport of red dragon.
    Ram, I agree with what you say about cultivars. I should have said that I suppose you could think forwards and plan out the type of plant you want, 'red pihrana' would be a good example of this but the chances of getting a plant wich is truly outstanding and unique are very, very slim. It is more likely that you will probably come across the plant in a bunch of seedlings wich exibits some unusual behavior and oh my god ive gone cross eyed! I think you know what i'm trying to say! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay you have driven me to post the red piranha story.(from ICPS newsletterVolume 28, No. 3) it is a cross of a dente and a red VFT developed in Europe. all of the germinated seeds(F1) were green. the one with the best dente triangular teeth was selected, then self pollinated. of those seeds, one quarter of the seedlings had red coloration, one of them looked just right and was isolated as the 'red piranha'.
    cultivar requirements will differ between species, like whether it's monotypical or not- being only one species of VFT you can't exactly make hybrids, just types. However with a sarracenia like the Judith Hindle, you would have to be sure of the parentage(or reasonably sure as it seems) you couldn't just find a cool sarracenia hybrid and make it a cultivar unless you could chart it's parentage to species.
    VFT cultivars Can happen by accident, it is happening to me. they must be unusual and hold their traits basically wherever grown.

EDIT- upon further reading, the dente VFT that was used in this cross was from a batch of wild collected plants;) I have also seen cup traps come from random seed.

(Edited by spacer at 3:06 am on Feb. 15, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Spacer! Just wanted to let you know that cup trap you sent me is still going strong... well.. it's in dormancy.. but it doubled in size this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right on Ram, that was one Tiny bulb!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    twas twas...

All my other stuff had a great fall too... The oero sent up one more philodia, and then shut down for the winter.

Cant wait to take em all out of dormancy... the time is at hand... but I have to make sure that aphid infestation is whupped before I let-em loose to kill all the bees and flying roaches of San Antonio!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12