What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish food

A while ago I stumbled upon a mention of feeding Neps with fish food. Predatory fish food of coarse. I tried this and came up with wonderful results. So, I thought I would try this on some of my dews, pings, and vfts. To my suprise all of the fish food was digested within two days, excluding the Vfts which took four days to open back up. The fish food seems to break down easier and not leave anything behind. No more dead bug skeletons. Yaaaayyyyyy..... I'm going to try this on my sarrs in spring. Just hope that comes soon.
sad.gif

Mike
smile.gif

Mike,
Are you talking about fish flakes for aquarium raised fish or fish emulsion? Inquring minds want to know! I also heard you can feed sarracenias milk. Anybody had any experience?

Brooks

Hmmmm... I think I'll try that! As an experiment, I think I'll also try it on my purpurea.

Sarracenieobsessed,
I do have some experience with using milk as a nutrition supplement for my purpurea(the only sarr I have, unfortunately). Last year, I used one drop of whole milk in two of the pitchers once a month; and WOW did it work! My purpurea immediately went into a growth spurt, and as a result of that, I now am a proud owner of a purpurea with pitchers big enough for a quarter to fit flat inside the largest pitchers!
biggrin.gif

Since those drops of milk in two pitchers once per month worked so well last year, I'm going to continue this method very soon, since growing season is approaching rapidly!
smile.gif

The pellet and blood worm ideas sound good... I have three fish tanks(29 gallon, 10 gallon, and 2 gallon), so I have shrimp pellets and dried bloodworms, so I think I'll try them both on my VFTs and purpurea. I'll let y'all know how it goes soon!

P.S. Just an hour ago, I fed one of my VFTs a flake of my Omega One tropical fish flakes that I feed my fish(including my two angelfish)in my 29 gallon aquarium. Omega One is the best fish food in the free world. For that very reason, I think it will work verrrry well for the cps LOL! So I'll also let y'all know how that goes. I also fed my purpurea a drop of milk. I KNOW that will work well  
biggrin.gif

Ok... I've seen things written. When fed the plants speed up leaf production and stuff like that........

Is this what happens when a CP eats, say, bugs? Just out of curiosity...

Well, yes. It just doesn't speed it up like fish food or milk does.

Update! Well, the green dragon VFT that I fed the fish food flake to yesterday is doing fine so far. The purpurea that I fed a drop of milk is doing well, too. In a little while today, I'm going to start the experiment with fish food pellets and dried bloodworms.

So, here is my little chart showing what plants I'm using for what experiment:

Milk experiment: S. purpurea
Fish food flake experiment: small green dragon VFT
Fish food pellet experiment(starting today): large green dragon VFT
Dried bloodworm experiment(also starting today): common VFT

I will keep you posted on the results during the next several days!

I forgot to post this ealier but, grind the fish food into dust first. I accidentally fed one of my sundews an unground flake and now that leaf has mold on it.
sad.gif

Awww mannn! I didn't grind it up before giving it to my VFT!

I'm so mad at myself!

Sorry, it's my fault. I should have told you earlier but, I've been very sick lately and I haven't been able to get on the computer.

Chill. The worst thing that will happen is the trap will start to turn black, and you can simplu cut it off. I tired pieces pf live earthworm once. Boy talk about being too rich for the plants, lol.

Regards,

Joe

Update! Well, I can scratch fish food pellets off my ''to use'' list. I just checked on the plants a few minutes ago, And I noticed that the trap that I fed the pellet to on the large green dragon is starting to rot.

<s>Fish food pellets</s>

All the other plants are doing fine so far. I'll keep y'all posted.

FlytrapGurl,
 Don't give up on the pellets completely.  I fed a 3 of my N. ventricosa pitchers a pellet of my daughter's Beta fish food a couple of weeks ago, and they had no problems with them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Feb. 20 2003,4
wow.gif
)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how did you cross out fish food pellets? <!--emo&
confused.gif
lol[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Spectabilis,
 Underneath the window that you type replies in are the words Help Cards then in brackets Emoticons :: iB code.  Click iB Code and a box will pop up showing the codes to use to <s>Strikethrough Text</s>
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
and several others.
<span id='ME'><center>BigCarnivourKid  Settles back to admire his latest <s>feet</s> feat of making simple matters complicated!</center></span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>edit: 3-20-03 @ 7:57 Corrected feet to feat as per FinnishKid</span>
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ Feb. 21 2003,02:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FlytrapGurl,
 Don't give up on the pellets completely.  I fed a 3 of my N. ventricosa pitchers a pellet of my daughter's Beta fish food a couple of weeks ago, and they had no problems with them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I might try the betta pellets... the ones I used were about an eighth of an inch long each. They were probably too big. A new experiment will be underway as of tomorrow: betta pellets.

New chart:

Betta pellets experiment(starting tomorrow): S. pururea and large green dragon VFT  
Milk experiment(already underway): the same S. purpurea, but in a different pitcher
Dried bloodworm experiment(already underway): common VFT
Fish food flake experiment(already underway): small green dragon VFT

I'll keep you posted.

i am also doing this experiment . I am using hikari carnivorous fish pellets , i won't be doing this experiment muc since this food is very very expensive . so far i fed it to my pitcher plants and sundews . i am waiting to see the effects .

Update! Nothing new today. Everyone is still digesting. I'll keep you posted.

Don't judge results by what a flytrap does. It is driven by movement more than most of the other cp. The fish pellet that rotted the VFT trap may work with pitcher plants. Also, use small food over larger pieces.
I tried small chunks of earthworm once, and that was just too rich. Keep experimenting and keep us informed.

Regards,

Joe

Back