What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are The New Forums Better? - Vote Here!!

• yes, they seem much better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, they are ok, I guess

• I'm indifferent, it doesn't matter

• no, it's worse

• no, it's more difficult to use

• Total voters
Hi All,

Here is the basic blueprint of the bog my brother and I constructed in our backyard late last year. It is composed of two tubs, one large undrained tub and a smaller tub within the other one. The smaller one is supported by bricks so the top sticks up above the top of the larger tub slightly. It has a pipe in one end which extends half way into the tub to the middle bottom of the small tub. This pipe has screening on the outside end and is filled with dead long fibered sphagnum moss.
bogcon1.jpg

The inside tub is filled with a mix of peat and perlite with a little bit of sand. The outer tub is filled with water, creating a "moat" and water resevoir around the smaller tub. The "moat" has mostly duckweed, with a layer of u. gibba and other utrics and aquatic plants beneath. The snail population controlls the algae.
The pipe protruding through the bottom of the small tub (not installed yet in pic) keeps the peat constantly moist as long as the water level in the out bog is at or above the pipe opening at the bottom of the small bog. The soil level inside the small tub varies depending on the water needs of the individual colonies of plants. A pipe protrudes from the outside middle of the outer tub and has an elbow, so the hight end of the pipe can be adjusted by twisting the pipe. Thus the maximum water level in and around the bog can be controlled in rainfall.
bogfinall.jpg

In the bog we planted sarracenia (leucophylla, alata, rubra, psittacina, and a small oreophila), drosera (mostly capillaris, though also a colonies of capensis, binata, binata dichotoma giant, and a few other rosetted species).
sideview.jpg

The pings are probably moranensis?
pingmor.jpg

Oh, and of course, the venus flytraps....
vft.jpg

The bog is VERY low maintainence, requiring only occaisonal (about once a week) adding of water. The plants feed themselves
smile.gif

capensis2.jpg
<p>Comments would be appreciated
smile.gif

-Noah

(Edited by noah at 11:24 pm on May 9, 2002)
(Edited by noah at 4:40 am on May 10, 2002)

AAAHHHH!!! Why won't the pics show up??? I used loaded them onto my petflytrap.com site... it doesn't work. Can any of you see them?

Noah

All I see are red x's. Did you use the Ikoncode tags or HTML? That could be your problem. I could be wrong, but I think HTML doesn't work on this message board.

It seems that you do not have it saved to the correct file.  It is picking up the file from the original destination, which means that you do not have it saved on file that you want to post. I believe that may be the problem? It also could be the HTML that sarracenia mentioned.

Trav

(Edited by Travis at 9
wow.gif
6 pm on April 3, 2002)

Noah, when I try to open your home page I see an under construction message. Make sure your home page opens, then upload your pic files and try to post. (Of course I could be wrong)

:confused:

There, I fixed it... the pics should show now.

Noah

i see them

nice bog man
realyl cool
smile.gif

Hey Noah, welcome back. Where ya been?
Nice bog.

Nice bog garden you got there noah , I've been try to make one , but i can't seem to find any broken tubs or jekuzees on the streets . do you know where I can get the kind of tub that you are using in that picture

naoh is that u this is brandon
your penpal

Nice job Noah...its beautiful. I love the capensis (thats a great pic of them too). I wish my sarras would flower but I think they are too young. I just set up my tiny little bog but its not much in it right now. I like it anyway. :)

Suzanne

I must have one. I made a small one out of a rubbermaid plastic tub that has some aquatic plants and i threw in a couple S. purpureas that I got in one of those CP boxes from Lowes. So far eveything is still alive. It's been about a week now.

Uhhhh.... huh huh... hi

Back