What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thud

• Thread starter Darcie
  • Start date
Well, I did get a few CP's this year for my B-day after all... although *blink* I left VFTs off the list for a reson... *sigh* two words of advice I have for anyone else who asks for CP's for a holiday. A) make a note that you do not want plants from anywhere but the place you chose and B) NEVER coment on the varities of VFTs at a local store.

Anyhow... I now have 2 (why they got 2 is beyond me) typical bigmouths (er medium, they aren't really as big as they could be) to deal with for the winter. One I understand... but 2?! Oh well, free plant is free plant I just hope they aren't carrying anything.

I shouldn't complain really, but it's practicly like asking for a gold fish and getting a hermit crab.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">NEVER coment on the varities of VFTs at a local store.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

No Kidding! Also, don't go into a nursery and tell them they are killing their CP's. They get very teste and deffensive, like they know everything. Sheesh. The only way I didn't get banned was to "rescue" about 20 dollars worth of plants, and buy some more supplies. No one will turn down a sale!
biggrin.gif

Darcie,
If you truly do have the 'Big Mouth' cultivar, then you should be thrilled. Many people here would kill to get one
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Oct. 21 2002,07:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, don't go into a nursery and tell them they are killing their CP's.  They get very teste and deffensive, like they know everything.  Sheesh.  The only way I didn't get banned was to "rescue" about 20 dollars worth of plants, and buy some more supplies.  No one will turn down a sale!  
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That always happens to me. once, I asked a worker what a plant was that was mixed up with the flytraps. (it was a nep. and I asked which species and she said), "It's a venus flytrap of course!"(in an annoyed way), and walked away!
mad.gif
I hate when people are like that!
mad.gif
Thats why I hate being a kid. well, soon I'll be 13, maybe then people won't do stuff like that!
mad.gif
and darcie, yes, you should be very glad you got a bigmouth var.
biggrin.gif

I'm afraid turning 13 won't change anything...sorry to disappoint! I'm 28 for crying out loud, and when I called the local garden center to ask if they got any vft's in they said yes, then I asked if they had any different varieties, and they sounded really annoyed when they said "venus flytraps!". How dense can you be!? So depserate to make money that they take in plants they know nothing about then act like they know what they are talking about!
wink.gif

You guys must live in Jerksville!
biggrin.gif
The people I complain to are at least ncie enough to move the plants in a sunnier spot when I tlaked to the manager and nice enough to accpet my advice! I even commented on the Orchids and how the "spot" heat light was too harsh for them when it was 6 inches away from the leaves!
wow.gif
And they then put 2 flurescents over the plants. Course that was way back in spring now the orchids are mostly gone and in the compost pile anyway.
sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You guys must live in Jerksville! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Amen to that!!

I think everyone around here wears their underwear a few sizes to small!!
wink.gif

schloaty said:
http://www.petflytrap.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]0]</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think everyone around here wears their underwear a few sizes to small!!  
wink.gif
<span id='postcolor'>
Yeah, thongs.  Ouch!
tounge.gif

smile.gif

Oh yes, I luv them even if I didn't ask for them.  I'm just bumbed I didn't get a Nep.
sad.gif
 If you are looking for Bigmouths, try digging through the typicals.  See, I looked at this places VFTs and saw they had some bigmouths and crimpsons mixed in so I turn to my Dad and say "oh hey cool, they have more then typical types here, I'll have to come back some time"... I ment in the spring cus VFT are hard to deal with here in the winter but I guess it gives me something to do.  
smile.gif
 The first one I opened was a really nice one with good color... but the second is on the edge of albino but I think it's just a dull colored one.  I'll offer cuttings once these two are astablished I think
smile.gif
 Maybe I can trade parts of VFT for parts of Neps. LOL!

What you got may not be typical, but unlesss the packaging specifically says its a 'Big Mouth', please don't label it as such.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (larry @ Oct. 23 2002,12:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What you got may not be typical, but unlesss the packaging specifically says its a 'Big Mouth', please don't label it as such.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hun? Bigmouth is a whole group of breeds, it's not like I said it was a Dingles(sp?) Giant or something like that. And no, of corse they didn't bother to lable them, why would they? The nersury buys random assortment, not breed specific so the things aren't labled as anything, we are talking NOTHING, empty pot except that it says full sun, distilled water only. It's just a lable to slap on. It's not like it's hard to ID VFTs, they don't all look alike because thats the whole point of making breeds, lol. Bigmouth is a trait, like denta or jaws (according to what I have read). What would you have me call my plant, large mouthed plant with long leaves and a kind of red center? If you know of a generic term for the plants I've always seen called Bigmouths then please share cause thats the most generic title I've seen. Seriously, I'm not trying to sound snooty or whatever, I'd just like an alternet term if you have one

Acccording to the CP database, the reference for D. 'Big Mouth' is page 16 of Tony Camilleri's book, although it has never been registered officially.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What would you have me call my plant, large mouthed plant with long leaves and a kind of red center?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Certainly not D. 'Big Mouth". The decription in Camilleri's book, although very brief, says:

"A comparison of a conventional sized trap and the 'big mouth' variety which produces large traps on very short leaves."

'Big Mouth' is the name of a vft cultivar. It is not a general term for describing large vft varieties. I don't know if it is or not registered, but it is listed under the "Registered Cultivar Names" Here's the website

If you have a large vft, you can refer to it as a "Giant variety", but not 'Big Mouth'. Since the place you got it from has different varieties, you probably did get a giant vft.

Dingly's Giant and Bigmouth are both cultivar names, aren't they? As is Akai-Ryu and Dente...

Yes Parasuco they are cultivar names and just because the plant produces large traps that doesnt make it a bigmouth there are other traits of the bigmouth vft as well like dodecatheon pointed out
I stole this pic from cooks (sorry Dean) to show the compactness of the plant.
bigmouth.jpg

they dont always have to be red in the mouth either of course.
What I believe you may have Darcie is just a older typical vft that produces large traps.

Lol. my bad then. I got the term Giant and Bigmouth backwards. Um, an older VFT? I think not, these things are to small in their overal build to be very old and I've had my Typical buddy here for... 4 years and it still matches the typical wild type description. I think my new plants are unregisterd giants of some sort, you don't get a plant with a ... 8 inch diameter and call it typical. In theory, typicals max out at 6-7 inches and even that pushes it for a single crown. Nope, these plants are big ol babies. LOL, even their new baby traps are extra large.

It's funny, the one with the better red color is your avarge 4 inch baby potted cheapo, except it's traps are like huge! They are wider then the stem-leaf is long, lol!

Oh and my concept of typical comes from seeing many many young typicals for sail and also adult typicals at the local gardens
smile.gif
These aint typical for a typical LOL!

Whenever I am at nursery's they alwasy are so DENSE! When I was inexperinced in CP's, I asked what soil to grow a VFT in I just bought. She said just take some soil. "Well, ok" I said and then she said why don't you just leave it in the pot? I am just like "But I am making a terrarium". Anyway, I bought the VFT, it died in two weeks and then I found this site. I then talked to the manager of the store about it. He just kicked me out and said,"What do you know? You're just a kid!' Alot more than you, I mumbled.

Thats what it alway was and is with me! The store (not cp stores!lol) managers are so...so...(How should I say this) um... DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The way they talk to me.. It makes my head want to...(THERE'S NO WAY TO EXPLAIN THIS) ... BLOW UP!
mad.gif
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGG!
mad.gif

Back