What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue dart frog

Hi
Here is are some photos of a Blue Dart Frog (Dendrobates azureus)
tell me what you think

PS dose anyone else here have any Poison Dart Frogs?

CP%202003-06-30%20067.jpg

CP%202003-06-30%20077.jpg

CP%202003-06-30%20080.jpg

CP%202003-06-30%20088.jpg

I posted here and it the reptiles but a lot more people see it here so I hope you don't mind.

Jeremiah

Wow, that is the most beautiful frog i've ever seen! Thanks for sharing, and nice pics!

I was wondering, are Poison Dart frogs collected from the wild, or are they bred in captivity? If the latter, i might have to get me some, too. If it is possible to get a pair and have them breed, that would be really neat.

They are captive bred. From what I have hear the azureus are very easy to bred if you have a good setup you should not have to do a thing. They seem to be very good parents the dad will carry the tadpoles form a bromeliad to water.

I should have tadpoles in 6 months.

Jeremiah

Those are great Jeremiah! I've wanted to have dart frogs for some time but always hold back because they seem to be quite a commitment. I'm waiting til the time is right ... and I'm ready. They're so beautiful... like little jewels!
How do you care for yours? Do you keep them with your cp's?
Holden

Well that are not very hard just feed them and and they take care of them selves.

Jeremiah

Hmm... in my research, it seemed like they had very specific requirements for humidity and temperature. Plants can be forgiving, but I didn't think the frogs would be. Now I'm excited and want to try again!
Do you keep them in the same terrarium with any of your cp's?
Holden

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">PS dose anyone else here have any Poison Dart Frogs?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Jeremiah:
Have you touched the frog yet? If they are poisonous you would have known by now. The poison I believe is in their skin. Plus, I thought bright colored frogs were dangerous
confused.gif
. Well, you can at least type so you must be doing ok k/d lol.
smile.gif

Travis

Travis:

Poison dart frogs, along with many other toxic animals, get their poison from the diet they keep in the rainforest. When kept in captivity, they aren't as poisonous, if poisonous at all. It's probably just as well...
wow.gif

... but you can still tell your friends that they're poisonous when they come over to peek into the terrarium! just for effect
wink.gif

O - makes since now
rolleyes.gif
...FinnishKid, I would be one of those just taking a peek
wink.gif

here is a photo of the vivarium I keep them in.
2003-06-30%20009.jpg

I have one CP in the vivarium a U. livida I love the little flowers and they bloom not stop.

they are not that picky on the temperature about 70 to 80 in the day and mid 60s at night. They do like very high humidity but they don't heavy air circulation so it is not a problem.

Travis
D muscipula is right, these frog are not poisonous at all in captivity. I could put them in my mouth and I would be fine. But in the wild if I were to do that I would be in a few minuets they are some of the most poisonous animals an the planet!

Jeremy,
In that last photo of the vivarium, what are those jugs on the left side of the screen? They look like fluit fly cultures
confused.gif
wink.gif

-Spec

wow how beautiful!!!! thats cool that its not poisonous while in captivity. what a nice set up you have got there, you're such a pro!
biggrin.gif

lol thanks

it really looks a lot cooler in person

Jeremiah

I feed them fruit flies ones a day. They eat a ton about 30 to 40 flies a day.

Jeremiah

What do you feed them to make them poisonous? I got some darts I want to rub on their backs.
rolleyes.gif

Well no one knows for sure but one of the best hypothesis is that dendrobatids need a certain precursor alkaloids found only in plants, to produce their toxins. They are able to these precursors by eating insects that in turn have been eating plants containing these toxins.

hope that makes sense

Jeremiah

I believe the monarch butterfly/milkweed would be an example of this.

Jeremiah, wouldn't it be easier to feed him something bigger? Do crickets or mealworms not work? Just wondering...

Back