What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown bulb

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I was looking at my plants this morning and I saw some kind of stem that was about 2 inches tall growing from one of my vfts pots. It looked almost like a vft flower stem. I wanted to see what it was so I pulled it up. It broke so I dug down to see where it came from. I pulled out a bulb a little smaller than a golf ball. It had a tap root about 7 inches long.
I have no idea what it is or where it came from. The pot it was in has a very small cup-trap vft that I got this summer. I got it bare root so I used my own peat when I potted it, so what ever it is it had to come from that. It's too big for a seed to have fallen in the pot when I had them outside.
Anybody else have anything like this happen?
Anybody have any ideas what it is?
I replanted it so see what grows from it. I'll post it when I find out.

I do have one. Amorphophallus konjac .
But I have no idea how it got in this pot.
I thought it looked similar to an Arum but I don't know how it got there.

Oooh, well if its a A. konjac tuber, you should be happy  
biggrin.gif

How big is your A. konjac?  I recently got some tubers of this plant, can't wait till spring to plant them up  
smile.gif

I had two this spring. I put them in potting soil and put them outside it the sun. Both started to grow. Then one stopped so I checked it out to see what was wrong and all that was in the pot was a colony of ants and they had ate the whole plant. I dug the other up to see if it was the same, there was some ants but no damage. So I repotted it and it grew fine. It was about 1 1/2 feet high. It multiplied into 3 bulbs this summer. If this is A. konjac growing in my vft pot, I just don't understand how it got there, but like you said that would be great if it is.
I'll keep you posted about what it is.
By the way I didn't let the ants go unpunished. Lets just say they ate my plant so some of my plants ate them.

I hope you could get a pic of that bulb and stem to see what it really was . i have a dime size bulb of konjac from cooks , and i've have to say that they have a good variety at cheap prices .btw , i'm trying to get rid of it . i am soon going to get flowering size bulbs of amorphophallus konjac , sauromatum venosum , dracunculus vulgaris , amorphophallus bulbifer andd if fatboy ever ims me back about the amorphophallus paeonifolius then soon I'll have a big collection . i'll also tell you alot things are weird , plants appear from nowhere and I've once had a cool experiance with fish . I had a 2 foot carp in my 60 gallon fiish tank that I just fished out of a park and then the next day it was gone without a single trace , I looked evrywhere for it and it was nowhere to be seen and I asked myself , how can a 2 foot fish get out of the tank when the top has been sealed shut , I have'nt found it but i have heard that in chinese folklore that carp have magical powers . so evrything remains a mystery , if that fish would've jumped out then I would have smelled something like an amorphophallus konjac in about 3 days .

Back