Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Unknown bulb

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at my plants this morning and I saw some kind of stem that was about 2 inches tall growing from one of my vfts pots. It looked almost like a vft flower stem. I wanted to see what it was so I pulled it up. It broke so I dug down to see where it came from. I pulled out a bulb a little smaller than a golf ball. It had a tap root about 7 inches long.
    I have no idea what it is or where it came from. The pot it was in has a very small cup-trap vft that I got this summer. I got it bare root so I used my own peat when I potted it, so what ever it is it had to come from that. It's too big for a seed to have fallen in the pot when I had them outside.
    Anybody else have anything like this happen?
    Anybody have any ideas what it is?
    I replanted it so see what grows from it. I'll post it when I find out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A shot in the dark, but it might be an Arum species.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have one. Amorphophallus konjac .
    But I have no idea how it got in this pot.
    I thought it looked similar to an Arum but I don't know how it got there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh, well if its a A. konjac tuber, you should be happy [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    How big is your A. konjac? I recently got some tubers of this plant, can't wait till spring to plant them up [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had two this spring. I put them in potting soil and put them outside it the sun. Both started to grow. Then one stopped so I checked it out to see what was wrong and all that was in the pot was a colony of ants and they had ate the whole plant. I dug the other up to see if it was the same, there was some ants but no damage. So I repotted it and it grew fine. It was about 1 1/2 feet high. It multiplied into 3 bulbs this summer. If this is A. konjac growing in my vft pot, I just don't understand how it got there, but like you said that would be great if it is.
    I'll keep you posted about what it is.
    By the way I didn't let the ants go unpunished. Lets just say they ate my plant so some of my plants ate them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you could get a pic of that bulb and stem to see what it really was . i have a dime size bulb of konjac from cooks , and i've have to say that they have a good variety at cheap prices .btw , i'm trying to get rid of it . i am soon going to get flowering size bulbs of amorphophallus konjac , sauromatum venosum , dracunculus vulgaris , amorphophallus bulbifer andd if fatboy ever ims me back about the amorphophallus paeonifolius then soon I'll have a big collection . i'll also tell you alot things are weird , plants appear from nowhere and I've once had a cool experiance with fish . I had a 2 foot carp in my 60 gallon fiish tank that I just fished out of a park and then the next day it was gone without a single trace , I looked evrywhere for it and it was nowhere to be seen and I asked myself , how can a 2 foot fish get out of the tank when the top has been sealed shut , I have'nt found it but i have heard that in chinese folklore that carp have magical powers . so evrything remains a mystery , if that fish would've jumped out then I would have smelled something like an amorphophallus konjac in about 3 days .