What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New species poll

New species poll - If you discovered a new species ...

• 1. Name it after yourself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Name it based on one of its aspects.

• 3. Other.

• Total voters

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
If you discovered a new species of carnivorous plant would you:

You're not allowed to name them after yourself, as far as I know?

I named mine after my wife... got me loads of brownie points (which I managed to lose again pretty quickly&#33
wink.gif

Cheers, Troy.

I would go Troy's route (but I'd try to keep my brownie points LOL)

Yeah. Use it as a leverage tool. "I name my flippin plant after you, so SMILE when we're in public!"

wow.gif
GREG! haha Shame on you!
wow.gif

I think Id name mine after my daughter.

Definately after the wife.  I might actually get 24 hours of NOT being in trouble....
wink.gif

tounge.gif

I think I found a new type of shrub, its a small runner type leaf that has only a few heart shaped leaves. I have found it in only one spot near my Grandma's house on a hillside, it only lives in a 5 foot area. I have looked everywhere in books and where i found it. I still have not found what it could be, I would name it after myself
tounge.gif
if it happend to be unregistered.
Kevin

P.S. I would name it Kevin's Heart, but Im not sure for the spieces name, most likely Kevinis Petersonii

If I discovered a new species, I would have to name it after Geoff Wong.
biggrin.gif

I would name it after my dog.
biggrin.gif

If I was allowed to, I would name it after myself.
smile.gif

Hmm... a second choice would be Nepenthes Dyflamensis
biggrin.gif

I'd name it after myself if i could or vin diesel.

Hmm, I'm planning on going with Troy (fatboy) on one of his expeditions to unexplored areas eventually. If I somehow discover a new species, I'm going to pick a name that will be hard to pronounce just to bug people. I'm thinking Nepenthes superlaminatriensis, since aristolochoides seems to be already taken.

In all seriousness, I would name it after some characteristic of the plant if the decision was mine.

See ya
Pat

I would name it N. BONGO! hehehehe...Off that one commercial were she bakes a cake and puts BONGO on it.
tounge.gif

I have "name your clone seedlings" so my friends are gonna help me name them.

I would name it after my daughter, Rachel. Yeah, Drosera rach-the-wretch-ensis or Pinguicula ratchetwrenchsetfolia.
tounge.gif

don't need brownie points, i'm free!!
i would name it after my baby, Pookie.
(the Beetle)
yea!! i love my pookie bug.
tounge.gif

i named all my seedlings after something cool. i find it so impersonal to not give them a name. I do that w/ all my plants.

If a plant is named after one of its aspects, then you can tell the basic characteristics of the plant just by the name.

leucophylla, for example, can be split into "leuco" (white) and phylla (topped?
biggrin.gif
)

Peter

Back