What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera spathulata flowers

Hello,
I know this topic should go on the sundew section, but I figured I'd get more replies here.
smile.gif

I have a spath (spathulata) that's flowering! every day I check on it, it looks like I missed a flowering! the floweres look like they had flowered, but closed before I could pollinate them!
mad.gif
when is the flowering time for D. spath? thanks
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
wow.gif

How do you pollinate them?
ANd what does it do?

you just rub two flowers together, or rub a toothpic in one.
pollinating it makes you get seed

I think spatulata would be pretty likely to be self-pollinating, so you should still get seed. Some sundew species have very short flowering times. With some species, the flowers seem to be very shortlived (and are open for just a matter of hours). If the closed flowers have small green pods, they've probably self-pollinated, and you just have to wait for the seed to ripen.

Yeah I highly doubt you will have to worry about pollinating them they should do it on their own. I never bothered to pollinate 3 D. Intermedia "cuba" that I have growing in a pot and I just collected like 250+ seeds!
biggrin.gif

John

Hehe... a fine opportunity for me to post a pic of my spatulata flower...

D_spat_flower01_web.jpg

I've never seen mine open
mad.gif

Back