What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!spahgum moss changing colour?

• Thread starter wezx
  • Start date
hey i bought some long fibred spahgum moss ,i repotted some of my plants into it, now the spahgum moss is turning green,is this normal?

It's called growing
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

It's perfectly normal.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wezx @ Aug. 19 2003,10:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey i bought some long fibred spahgum moss ,i repotted some of my plants into it, now the spahgum moss is turning green,is this normal?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
What is your trick? Leaving it in a dish of water?
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Depends on what kind of "green" you mean. LFS can get algae on it which will make it look green (usually a kind of dark green). It can also start to grow in which case the new growth is a light green. You should be able to tell by looking at it if its algae forming on the moss or new growth.

I have always had my dead LFS moss regenerate and start to grow in my tanks...pure water and good light and--voila!--live sphagnum. So its always possible to grow your own moss.

Suzanne

I also been noticing green things on my lfs, I think the little sprouts are the new growth, but I also see algea growth on many of the lfs, I was wondering if they were harmful to my terrarium, I heard they can cause fungus, but I like how they look green, brings more life to my terrarium. I was wondering if I can leave them be, or have to just throw them out?

DKiM128:
I believe if you have algae that is dew to minerals in the lfs. I have heard through the grape vine that washing lfs with disdilled water gets rid of the minerals. That should stop your algae problem.

Travis
rolleyes.gif

Here is a sample of live sphagnum moss:

sphagnum_moss_live.jpg

This moss grew from dried Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss. I have found that the lighter colored moss sprouts the best and I have noticed and increase in initial growth from the dried moss if it has been finely chopped and spread of the surface of a peat/perlite or peat/sand mixture. The photo above shows moss growing on a peat/perlite mix. The pot was used for cuttings of D. filiformis and Dionaea muscipula 'Akai Ryu'. No live moss was introduced to the pot.

oh, thats pretty, I have a section of live sphagnum, it has a lot of green, but doesn't look as nice as yours. There are a lot of dried parts that turned yellow, I increased the moisture and its growing fine hoping to have a huge bunch of live sphagnum. But on my dried lfs I introduced to another section, I clearly see the algea growth, on them and some perlite, I removed the perlite, and replanted most of the plants, because I'm experimenting with a new potting mix.

Back