What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guiness mistake

Well I was at Walmart today and saw the 2004 Guiness Book Of World Records. I was looking through it when I saw a pic of my favorite Cp, Darlingtonia. Then I read the record that went with it. The record was "Largest Pray Caught By an Carnivorous Plant". The record holder was Nepenthes and they went on named an few and where they are. It even said "shown below." But the picture was clearly darlingtonia and not nepenthes. I wonder who was incharge of that section? Perhapes someone needs to go up to them and give them an lesson about CPs.

What was the world record prey caught by a CP?

I think they ment generally. You know tales of frogs and monkeys caught in the traps. But still geting the picture so wrong is just poor reaserch.

oh I see, yea I agree. You'd think a major book like that would research the topic a little more than that. Thats sad.

yap , some people are just that lazy , thast why the info given makes some people stupid like them . you should contact guiness an tell them that there error . a same thing occured in the future is wild , they showed a pic of a d. spat anmd called it a venus flytrap , any idiot would know what a venus flytrap is .

Actually, I believe there are many people out there that do not know what a Venus Flytrap is. I took a few photos of my plants into work and one person ( a customer ) wanted to know where they could get a cactus like that.

Another person asked if these were the praying mantis that people had been talking about in their gardens.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The record was "Largest Pray Caught By an Carnivorous Plant". ... Perhapes someone needs to go up to them and give them an lesson about CPs.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Perhaps also someone should give them a lesson in grammar and spelling -- unless it was a religious event that the plant caught.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Posted on Sep. 19 2003,1:54
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, I believe there are many people out there that do not know what a Venus Flytrap is. I took a few photos of my plants into work and one person ( a customer ) wanted to know where they could get a cactus like that.

Another person asked if these were the praying mantis that people had been talking about in their gardens.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Wow, thats is pretty embarrassing on their end. I don't expect people to know what pitcher plants are or misname them, but the VFT is pretty famous and definately not a cactus. And to confuse a plant with a praying mantis is downright shameful.

I love praying mantises! I sure hope you aren't feeding them to your plants.
sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dr_Carnivorous_Plant @ Sep. 18 2003,8:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I was at Walmart today and saw the 2004 Guiness Book Of World Records. I was looking through it when I saw a pic of my favorite Cp, Darlingtonia. Then I read the record that went with it. The record was "Largest Pray Caught By an Carnivorous Plant". The record holder was Nepenthes and they went on named an few and where they are. It even said "shown below." But the picture was clearly darlingtonia and not nepenthes. I wonder who was incharge of that section? Perhapes someone needs to go up to them and give them an lesson about CPs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
if you go back a few pages in the archives in general discussions, you'll see that I reported that error to the guiness word records about 3 weeks ago. unfortunately, they haven't replied. probably cause they can't addmit they were wrong
wink.gif

Believe it or not, Guinness World Records has goofed more than once on cp pictures. In their 2000 book, they have "most devious plant" listed as sarracenia leucophylla. The picture corrosponding is a nepenthes, right down to the vine. fools.
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually, I believe there are many people out there that do not know what a Venus Flytrap is.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
haha reminds me of one time I was comming home on the bus from a plant store in Seattle with a huge S.alata x minor. A lady on the bus insisted on arguing with me that it was in fact a venus fly trap and not a sar
rolleyes.gif
UGH her stop couldnt have come any sooner!

thanks LOs Angels Traphole
smile.gif
she is a sweetie

reminds me of myself a few years back.

*that not a vft that is a flying monkey*

Back